Trianco tro 15/19

Thank you Oilman as you have confirmed my experience with oftec certified people and the last one i had here i had to tell him to leave as he was just fitting parts for fun as he didn't know what to change next and thats when i thought i can do that for a lot less money and sell them on later if they don't work.Waiting for an EBI unit to be delivered and then we can think about getting pressures set etc but it has run ok since i fitted it 20 years ago and i set that up by eye then.Nothing wrong with that as us old mechanics still tune cars by ear and eye and something young pups can't do.

Sponsored Links
You might have been able to set your TRO by eye, but you can't do that with modern boilers. :LOL: TROs were crude as were most of their burners, anything short of sooting would do. With modern burners you just throw money away if it's not set to its optimum.

The problem seems to be every young'n that does his or her OFTEC 101, seems to think they have learnt what it takes to be a Self employed oil engineer :confused:

Oftec is easy to learn, Experience, well, that takes a lot longer, I would recommend to any new oil (or gas ) entrant to go and work for a company that has experienced engineers, who are happy to pass on their experience and knowlege, after 5-10 years, then you may be ready to "go it alone" ;)

Boilers are not that difficult. Most of the trouble seems to be lack of electrical and diagnostic ability.

Sponsored Links
I agree, gone are the wallflames, dynaflames, Gyropac etc etc!
although i have servcied a W/F 60 this week (good as gold!) :LOL:

Sounds like i have opened a can of worms on the OFTEC training but that applies to any sort of training these days and you can't beat being taught by the old/us timers no matter what trade you are in and i guess i am lucky that anything short of sooting will do with my old boiler and i will get there in the end as us old ones never give up and we appreciate all the help we can as well and we are never to proud to ask for it not like the young guns.

Sounds like i have opened a can of worms on the OFTEC training .....

Now you are starting to suffer from self delusion, this can has been open for years. The problem is "training" is a euphemism in most domestic buildings services. It is an excuse for moving money in the economy, not for imparting knowledge.

More like keeping the number on the dole queue down i think and then we get on to why so many are going to Uni as they call it with no hope of a job at the end.

As much as I agree with the comments regarding Oftec "training" at least looking for someone with Oftec will point a customer in the direction of an operative who has some oil experience if they can't get a recommendation for a known technician.
I was working for a company for 2 weeks when I passed the Oftec assessments, you only need to find the answers in the books (much like the Part P assessments etc...). Fortunately I was then able to work with guys with 20 + years of experience and learn that way( I did come from a fault finding background in Telecoms which may've made some of it easier for me) I don't know how anyone comes out of an Oftec assessment, with no prior knowledge,and thinks they can crack on with customers heating systems.
Let us know how you get on when the transformer arrives ;)

Tranny arrived first class this morning from ebay and brand new for £20. The old girl hasn't missed a beat since fitting it and the queer one is made up and off my back for now.I can now re-sell the control box once i recheck it works ok and the other stuff was that cheap there is no point and i dread to think what it would of cost me if i had let that OFTEC chappy carry on.I understand things aren't that simple with an inconsistant fault as i have been in the motor trade all my life and its not easy to pin point the problem and you have to try to eliminate the fault.It is now with all the laptop plug in stuff but you can't beat experience in any trade and i am affraid that is a dying breed and not many are getting trained anymore so where does that leave us????????

... at least looking for someone with Oftec will point a customer in the direction of an operative who has some oil experience........

A nice thought.

I don't know how anyone comes out of an Oftec assessment, with no prior knowledge,and thinks they can crack on with customers heating systems.

Well they do, and that contradicts your earlier statement, don't you think?

There's good and bad in every industry, I've seen enough boilers/heating systems bodged by experienced techs, it's not hard to service or repair an oil boiler if you're reasonably sensible/intelligent - years doing the same job doesn't necessarily mean someone is good at it if they've got bad habits ingrained.Just as sticking blindly to the Oftec guidelines doesn't mean they understand what they're doing.
Take the statement in context I also said if they haven't been recommended anyone - how would you point a customer towards someone who works on oil boilers (who doesn't live in your area)??

I know they do come out of Oftec and ACS thinking they can do it all, my statement was that in my personal opinion I don't believe they can do more than scratch the surface on these courses - the bit between the two selected quotes outlines my own experience and a way I believe you can learn the job properly.

Can anybody tell me the gap between the nozzle and the difusser i think they call it as i think mine is to far forward and its still running ok though and i have tried it further back and still runs ok.

It should be in the boiler instructions, but 43mm from the front of the blast tube is a starting point. It depends which build of burner you have.

Its an Inter B9 and i have the instructions but it doesn't tell you and i guess not the ones i need and its fitted to a Trianco Tro mk3 and i can't find anywhere to download the proper instructions unless anyone out there knows where?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back