Trimming doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove 7mm from each side on a 27" door. Last night tried using the electric plane but it went wrong and now my door resembles Marilyn Monroe!
The frame is secured to the wall by floor board nails. And I then had to pack out one side to box in a plastic pipe. Spirit level says it's vetical but the opening is 670mm to 665mm, therefore I guess the door needs to be at least 666 (the number of the beast!). Do I have to shrink the door where necessary or widen the gap in the frame.
I'm no joiner by the way.
Have a spare door so what is the best way to approach this? Not a super steady grip, so should it be hand saw, or use a circular saw, hand held?

Sponsored Links
Go for the door modification, not the frame.....if its a solid pine door then removing material isn't a problem but if its a hollow one then its likely you'll break through.
Set the electric plane to a very fine cut!
I scribe the door with a marking gauge, and then plane the door down, holding it in a workmate bench.
Test your spirit level by using it one way, looking at the bubble, and then invert it to see if the bubbles are the same.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back