Trip times.

I take it they must say on the BS4293 time delay devices what the time delay is.

Sponsored Links
Just the usual guff.

BS EN 61008, 100A/ 100mA S type.

But no time delay info.

Have you got one to hand?

Sponsored Links
BS EN 61008 type S should trip within 130ms - 500ms.
I don't have any of these to hand :(

Sorry 123, I'm all muxed ip tonight. I meant 4293, not 61008.... :oops:

Nothing hidden on the side of it? I suppose it may be a case of asking the manufacturer, GN3 just gives it for a BS4293 as 50% to 100% rated time + 200ms

So is that what you do? Ask the manufacturer? Surely these things are variable?

If all else fails, that is probably your only port of call. I was blissfully unaware BS4293 called their time delayed devices type S. I suppose you learn something new every day ;) . I don't know if they are variable, does it have a selector screw or something on it?

So you've never tested a TD RCD built to 4293? I've only done 2 but they were well within normal range so didn't do any calculations.

They're not user adjustable, AFAIK.

But, as you know, a 30mA device may trip out at less than 30mA. In the same way, I guess the delay time can be variable from unit to unit. So I suppose you must take the figure from the company as read.

It's not as if you can measure the time delay, can you?

Mk at least quote 350ms - 500ms for their devices, I suspect this is what the relevant standard calls for (as opposed to just what the mk devices are capacble of) as they also quote the 300/40 figures for normal devices as well, when as we all know an rcd will go a lot faster than 300 IRL

This seems to fit with the 1/2 delay + 200ms ----> delay + 200ms rule assuming a delay of 200ms, curiously the 200ms doesn't seem to become 300ms looking at these figures

I thought the time delay was 100mS added on to the usual trip time. Don't know if I imagined it...

If you pull one apart you find a delay circuit inside it on a little PCB, I imagine these can be manufactured to a much tighter tolerance than the BS calls for.

Rang Electrium today & Wylex told me that their 100mA S types have a TD of 500ms.

But that's not right surely?

That would make the trip time between 450 and 700ms...... :?:

The OSG says "between X & Y..."

Does that mean if the trip time is lower than X it fails??

I suppose so, not that it would matter too much providing it discriminates with any other RCDs in the system.
I have never come across any of these in my line of work, all our stuff afaik is TN-S.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back