Triple Pole Pull cord switch for electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with this please :-

I have purchased a new Triton 9.5 kw electric shower which, according to the instructions, needs a triple pole switch with at least 3mm contact gap to be included in the circuit. This needs to be a ceiling pull cord switch for the bathroom. Problem is, I can't seem to find one. i.e. at TLC, Screwfix and on ebay the only switches like this are double pole (DP). The description of the switches (such as the MK 3164) says : 'The switch fully complies
with the 16th Edition IEE Wiring
Regulations with respect to safety
isolation for maintenance purposes
and provides a full 3mm contact
gap when 'OFF' '

Is it OK to use this to isolate a 9.5kw electric shower?

All help very much appreciated

thanks,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Double pole is fine, and standard fit - I hope they don't want you to route the cpc (earth) through the third pole!

The MK switch you mention is a double pole 50A rated switch so perfectly adequate for the job.

Sponsored Links
Can you tell us the model of the shower so we can look at the instructins for ourselves then maybe advise the manafacturers they are stoopid.
Did it by any chance mention Part P in the instructions and the need to use a registered competent person to do the work??

Nick

I have purchased a new Triton 9.5 kw electric shower which, according to the instructions, needs a triple pole switch with at least 3mm contact gap to be included in the circuit. This needs to be a ceiling pull cord switch for the bathroom.

You definitely do NOT need a triple pole switch - you would never normally switch protective conductors.

The switch does not need to be a pull switch, although this is often the most convenient arrangement.

Despite the wiring regulations requiring you to follow manufacturers' instructions you should be wary, as most manufacturers are ignorant of the regulations, use incorrect, (often confusing) terminology and are usually woefully out of date.

The description of the switches (such as the MK 3164) says : 'The switch fully complies
with the 16th Edition IEE Wiring
Regulations
Oh dear. Someone should tell them . . .

The 16th Edition of the wiring regs was superceded by the 17th edition in 2008. :rolleyes:

Did it by any chance mention Part P in the instructions and the need to use a registered competent person to do the work??

Nick
If he's just replacing the shower and switch it won't need notifying so he can do it himself, if he's able to of course :)

Or indeed he could be installing a new shower with a new 50A switch (which is the original post) if the shower switch has been moved then it falls foul of the Part P police or if its a new circuit which it sounds like it is .

Nick

you would never normally switch protective conductors.

Air conditioner installers are a rule to themselves though ;)

airconiso.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back