tripping problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all ,i have a problem with my electrics and am a total newb.my box tripped during the night and again several times this morning.problem is i can have power for a couple of hours and then it trips with no appliance ac tually being turned on at that time.it was suggested it might be the fridge ,but when the electric trips the fridge is still working,so does that mean the fridge is ok.
it trips with no kettle plugged in and washing machine seems ok.i am now lost.any advice please

Sponsored Links
What exactly is tripping? Is it an MCB or RCD? Nuisance trips are more common with RCDs but the fact you say your fridge still works suggests that it could be an MCB or that the fridge is just on another RCD or unprotected circuit.

It should say on the tripping device whether is is an MCD or RCD.

Even better if you can take a pic of your consumer unit and service head then people will be able to give you better advice. ;)

IT JUST HAS RCCB ON THE ONE THATS TRIPPED.I HAVE UPLOADED 2 PHOTOS INTO MY ALBUM ENTITLED NEWBIE.HOW YOU THANKS,MAURICEACCESS THEM I DONT KNOW,BUT I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

The fault will be on one of the three circuits to the left of the RCCB.

Likely problems are:

1. Something plugged in is faulty (The freezer/fridge has a separate circuit so it won't be that). You need to unplug everything - not just switch off.

2. Your shower is faulty - turn it OFF at the isolator switch (large switch on wall, or pull cord in ceiling in or just outside the bathroom)

3. Damage has occured to the wiring or sockets somewhere. Have you put up any pictures, drilled into walls/floors, or are there outside sockets or lights?

Sponsored Links
N O NEW WORK DONE,SHOWER IS OK,TRIPS ALL THE TIME NOW BUT AM ISOLATING THINGS SLOWLY.AT PRESENT IT SEEMS TO BE EITHER THE TV,DVD PLAYER OR SATELLITE BOX.,OR MY PC SETUP.THANKS FOR THE HELP.

ok guys prob now fixed,it was an outside light plugged into ring that was faulty.thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back