Triton Electric shower no power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for some advise. Recently our Triton power shower stopped working, I want to try and troubleshoot it before getting an electrician out to it, I have a multimeter to test, the obvious thing I need to test first is if there is actual power coming into the shower, so I'll be taking the shower front covver off. When it comes to the circuit breaker will i be safe enough to isolate just the shower MCB would I be best to isolate the main switch? I can see the shower MCB labelled so I know which one it is.

Thanks
Tariq

Sponsored Links
You wont be able to test for power without the circuit being live, suggest you get an electrician in.

Blup

I use a multi meter with NCV (non contact volts) Testing for live.jpg which does allow testing without removing the covers to some extent, but in the main when a shower stops working we can either see the fault, simply using our eyes, like burnt contacts on the isolator, or simple continuity test, faulty on/off switch for example.

A MCB does not isolate, it only turns off the line, some RCBO's not all, do turn off both lives (Line and Neutral) as do most RCD's, but as to if you need the neutral switching off as well depends on type of supply, with TT yes you want both off, with TN not quite so important. If unsure then turn off the RCD as well. I am assuming it is RCD protected most shower units do stipulate RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments all - I've just messaged an electrician like first poster suggested

Appreciate the reply ericmark but I didn't quite understand some of the terminology and abbreviations there, so instead of asking what they mean, and trying to fix it myself, I've just contacted one. Thanks

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back