Trolley Jack Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a used sealey yankee 2 tonne trolley jack. When I got the jack it was low on hydrolic fluid, so I filled that up and bled the jack. The jack lifts ok but when lowering, it drops the vehicle way too quickly. And I'm careful when lowering not to release it too fast. Does anyone have any ideas on why the jack is behaving in this way? What do I need to do to repair it.

Victor

Sponsored Links
Some jacks have a release valve, screw operated - some have this incorporated in the filling cap which should be almost tight.
What sort of oil did you fill with......was it proper Jack oil?
John

Yes it was proper jack oil.

Attachments

• 20240207_164753.jpg
    20240207_164753.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240207_164746.jpg
    20240207_164746.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240207_164739.jpg
    20240207_164739.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
How easy is the release valve to turn or not ? By hand, not by using the jack handle?

Initially the release valve is a little tight right at the start but then it turns quite freely.

Sounds like the initial tightness is the issue then. Opens too far, too fast maybe. Any corrosion or dirt around it?

I think this is the v1 of the yankee jack, I will have a search online for a service kit for it. It doesn't drop suddenly after the initial tight bit,I would say a quarter turn after this and then drops suddenly.

I think this is the v1 of the yankee jack, I will have a search online for a service kit for it. It doesn't drop suddenly after the initial tight bit,I would say a quarter turn after this and then drops suddenly.
a quarter turn is a long way for a trolley jack

I was probably wrong there, I will try it again later to verify.

I think mine is the same, just turn the release until it begins to go down and wait.

Stivino you are correct, I forgot I posted that. It's been sat in the shed since today when I thought I would try it out.

Sponsored Links
Back