Trouble with council over my structural calcs!

You misunderstand the purpose of limiting the widths of openings in a wall, which is to maintain lateral stability.

The post at H will contribute nothing to lateral stability, so that openings F and I really need to be considered as one.
It's too early in the morning for me to do the maths, but I would guess that the combined width of all the three openings exceeds the maximum 2/3 proportion.

The fact that your SE says that the post is only taking 15% of its maximum load shows that he doesn't understand either.

Sponsored Links
I can't understand what's going on here. Surely the concept is that the SE designs a [practical/cost effective] solution and the client does not do all the work or even worry about it?

I can't understand what's going on here. Surely the concept is that the SE designs a [practical/cost effective] solution and the client does not do all the work or even worry about it?

I agree: anyway the calcs justifying lateral stability went to the Council and hooray, they have signed them off! They're happy now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back