Troubles after topping up my Vaillant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Vaillant TurboMax 828e. Had it for 6 years no problems so far. Topped it up in the past. No problems with that either.

Yesterday, I topped it up to 1.2 bar and following this, DHW is OK but the CH is highly erratic. The CH attempts to start, then displays S.07 'Water pump over run'. It re-attempts occasionally, but ends up in a few seconds with S.07. On one occasion, it realised that the temperature (round 70c) was not right, the temperature display went down very rapidly to 39C, it then gave me some CH for 10-20 minutes before going S.07 again.

Any thoughts? And why would this be caused by topping up? I did bleed the radiators (honest!)

My thoughts so far is that it could be:
-pump auto air valve is blocked (can it be unblocked? how do I test it?)
-maybe empty the radiators and refill?
-diverter switch?
-something else?!?!?!

Thanks,

ThePig.

Sponsored Links
For a start never drain down and refill. That seems a common faulted DIY idea which never helps anything! I can only assume its done so often its because its easy to do but it will not fix anything and can make it worse if these is air in the system.

It seems that you are one of the owners who wants to do too much.

For a start only bleed AIR out of radiators, never water. There should be no need to bleed air from a sealed system under normal conditions.

After six years the diverter valve should have already failed. That gives well defined fault operation.

I cannot guess what, if anything, is wrong with your system.

To others never let the pressure go down below 1 Bar. It seems in this case unecessary bleeding was carried out which was not toppped up as it went along.

Tony

Thank you for the advice, but one more question - if it is the diverter valve as you suggest - before I fork out to replace it, how do I DETERMINE whether or not my diverter valve is working properly or not?

Sponsored Links
It has been written about so often on here but yet another time....

No, I will do it properly!

I will write an FAQ so we can just refer others to it. probably going to be FAQ 53.

Wait 15 minutes and then look for it. I will edit this if necessary.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back