TRV problem? Radiator taking long time to heat up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large rad in my kitchen with a TRV set to max. When the heating has been on for a while, half hour or so. The rad in the next room which does not have a TRV is nice and hot but the kitchen rad is completely cold. I have tried turning the TRV setting up and down but it makes no difference.

After a few hours it does start to heat up but never really gets hot like the others.

Is the TRV faulty?
Can I replace just the top of the TRV (the bit that easliy unscrews) or do I have to remove the base part that connect to the rad/pipes as well?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
When you unscrew the top you will see a little pin, just give this a gentle push to try and unstick it, it should then spring up. If its proper stuck you could try wd40, otherwise its a complete new valve.

Thanks I will try this.

To replace a TRV do I need to remove the main part of it that attaches to the pipes as well?
Thanks

ollski said:
a little pin, just give this a gentle push
I'd give it a damn hard push, and then repeat this again and again until it springs up. Do not pull the pin up, only push it in, using some heavy tool to apply pressure (your finger ain't hard enough). It almost always works.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar problem with a rad taking ages to heat up. The pie going into the read with the TRV is cold but the pipe coming out is piping hot?? Help

I'd give it a damn hard push, and then repeat this again and again until it springs up. Do not pull the pin up, only push it in, using some heavy tool to apply pressure (your finger ain't hard enough). It almost always works.

Lightly hitting that delicate looking pin with a small hammer sounded seriously dubious, but hey, it worked!

Could be a balancing problem with that rad only getting heat when the others have reached temp. Try turning the setting down on some of the others to see if it heats sooner.

Maybe 9 years old, but it solved the problem I had, and my wife stopped moaning, (well, about the radiator at least). When searching for answers to problems, google doesn't distinguish between vintages, only relevance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back