TRV's and Room Thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After scrolling through lots of forums I still cant find a solid answer to this question.

I have just had a brand new central heating system fitted in a three bedroom house, combi boiler is Vaillant ecotec 831 with a standard 24 hour timer. Manifold installation. Every rad is fitted with a good quality TRV except the bathroom as that radiator has not been installed yet due to ongoing work, just got 2 capped pipes.

The installer said we did not need a room/wall thermostat as every rad has a TRV so we can control each room.

Then a friend came who is a property developer and said we should have one.

Followed by an electrician who said we dont need one.

Some forums are saying you need one by law, others are saying they are optional. Some people are saying if you install one it saves on gas because it stops cycling as much.

I know if you have one then you remove the TRV from the rad in that area, but my question is simply...

should I have/need one? [/b]

Sponsored Links
Of course you should have one!

To explain it in the extreme, suppose you leave your boiler on 24/7 to ensure heat is there in case the TRVs call for it then during the summer for six months your boiler is just keeping itself hot and using that fuel for nothing.

It does not comply with Building Regulations.

The nupty installer should be shamed!

Tony

Listen to your friend and Tony.

The TRVs can control individual room temps, but when the house is up to the required temp, you want the boiler to switch off. Only a room stat will do this.

No room stat is a bit like leaving your car in the garage overnight with the engine idling. If it's not being used, switch it off and save some increasingly expensive fuel.

Will pay for itself quite quickly.

If the system has been installed in ther last 12months it should have two room stats and zoned.

Is the installation registered, if so get a free inspection off gas safe.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF
Sponsored Links
If you look in the install manual at the back you'll find the commissioning benchmark check sheet. The first thing that the benchmark asks if there is a roomstat fitted! There should be a room stat/programmable room stat fitted to comply with building regulations.

Thank you for your help.

So to sum up - Yes it should have at least one by law.

When I say brand new, it was only finished last week.

Yes it was done through a company (independent al be it) but he was registering it for us, but we also had to register the boiler separate.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back