Trying to spur from a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
From a socket on the ring main circuit I have a spur FCU powering a 140W extractor fan. I would like to add 40W of under cupboard lighting also to the spur.
Is there any way to do this without contraveining the regs?

Otherwise I'm going to be drilling holes all over the place trying to bring in the lighting circuit which will be a real mess.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes, somebody knows the answer.
:)

they'll all be watching the footie right now tho !

If this work is in a kitchen, as I suspect, then you only have 2 routes available to you.

1. Notify your local building control, pay their fee and have them inspect it.
2. Employ an electrician who is registered with a scheme provider as a registered person.

Look at www.competentperson.co.uk for someone near you

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the extractor from the FCU, install a 13A fuse in the FCU. From this FCU install two more, one for the extractor and one for your under cupboard lighting, fit 3A fuses in both of these FCU.

Now, as a number of people will no doubt jump in and tell you, work carried out in a kitchen requires notification to the LABC and inspection (Part P).

Hahaha, as I was typing that, somebody did indeed jump in with a Part-P speech :LOL:

Easy Gary....

He did ask how to do it without contravening any regs'...

However the neatest way of doing this would be to replace the fused spur with a 3 gang grid switch - power in to a fuse module (3a fuse) and then out via individual switches for the fan and lights.

With an FCU supplying a 140W extractor fan, i.e. well under 3A, I really can't see what's wrong with just adding a normal light switch to what's already there....

WHY NOT JUST ADD ANOTHER FUSED SPUR TO RUN YOUR LIGHTS.
YOU CAN SPUR OF A SPUR IF ITS FUSED.

WHY NOT JUST ADD ANOTHER FUSED SPUR TO RUN YOUR LIGHTS.
YOU CAN SPUR OF A SPUR IF ITS FUSED.

You can only have one accessory on an unfused spur. This can be an accessory such as a fused spur unit or a socket.
You can have more than one accessory fed from the fused spur unit as these will be protected by the fuse in the fused spur unit. (need to be carefull not to exceed the rating of the fused spur unit)

TO SPARK123

YOU MISUNDERSTOOD WHAT I WAS SAYING.
THE GUY HAS ALREADY SAID HE HAS A FUSED SPUR FROM A RING SOCKET WHICH IS DRAWING 140W, HE CAN SPUR OF THAT FUSED SPUR TO RUN A FURTHER 40W.
I DIDNT MEAN RUN TWO APPLIANCE FROM THE SAME SPUR.

CHEERS
NEAL

TO SPARK123

YOU MISUNDERSTOOD WHAT I WAS SAYING.
THE GUY HAS ALREADY SAID HE HAS A FUSED SPUR FROM A RING SOCKET WHICH IS DRAWING 140W, HE CAN SPUR OF THAT FUSED SPUR TO RUN A FURTHER 40W.
I DIDNT MEAN RUN TWO APPLIANCE FROM THE SAME SPUR.

CHEERS
NEAL

Stop shouting :(, turn off your 'Caps Lock' :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back