Tumble dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriends mums tumble dryer (1 year old approx. hot point CTD00) is tripping the main RCD when it is switched on? Any ideas pls??

Sponsored Links
yes, it has an electrical fault.

It might be damp collecting somewhere and touching an electrical part; it might be chafed or worn wiring inside.

Since you say it happens when switched on, it probably isn't the flex damaged (e.g. where the heavy washing machine has been put down on top of the flex)

Could be a number of things

Damaged flex where it has got caught under drier

Faulty plug.

These two can be checked quite easily

As for drier

Damp fluff around heating element

Broken heating element touching casing

General build up of fluff and debris around electrical components[/list]

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of taking the tumble dryer apart to see if there was any water damage visable but before i do this, there is continuity between the earth and neutral on the flex? could that be causing the RCD to trip????

yes, but its not on the flex its whats on the other end that is the problem

I was thinking of taking the tumble dryer apart to see if there was any water damage visable but before i do this, there is continuity between the earth and neutral on the flex? could that be causing the RCD to trip????

Could be - if you can carefully disconnect the flex from the dryer and re-test that will tell you for definate if it is the flex.

May be you should post this again in the appliance forum.

I had a similar problem with my built in freezer. the cause was moisture that had built up and caused water to collect in the comparment where the flex meets the switch live to thermostat.

All that was needed was a kitchen towel and a hair drier to dry it all out.

ALso receommended to check this every 6 months. Whirlpool design fault basically.

All thanks to the appliance forum!! ;)

cheers ill try that when i can be bothered to try and attempt to take the casing off again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back