Turf to the door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening!

Looking at turfing the back garden in about 2 or 3 weeks and I have a few questions: -

1. How much topsoil is needed, or does it depend on...?
2. Anyone tried mail order turf, or recommend anyone?
3. Does weedkiller (or equivalent if you know what I mean) need to be put down first?
4. When is the latest time of the year that turf could go down...does it matter?
5. What type of turf is best?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1:- depends on what you have there and the quality of it, but we always lay a lawn on a screeded bed of sandy loam topsoil. 50mm minimum on decent existing soil.

2:-we always use a decent local supplier who is tried and tested, but the larger companies like rolawn will be good.

3:-you only need to use weedkiller if you youve got a lot of weeds. use a systemic killer containg glyphosate, but you need to dig over the existing ground first anyway to prepare for the new turf, so you may as well remove the perenial weeds when you do that

4:- we lay lawn all the year round, apart from when there is a frost on the ground. I alwyas think this time of year is better. More moisture, less foot traffic to allow the grass to really root down and take

5:- depends on what you are using it for, ie pets, family, coastal, shadey areas etc. a good supplier will tell you what you need.

dont forget to allow for wastage on the amount you order for cuts etc

Cheers Thermo

All noted.

It's a weird spread really. Really good soil on one half, and nowt but clay on the other....and it's only 7 metres wide!

Do you roll the topsoil first? Or do you roll the soil before the topsoil goes on?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

Still can't see the answer to the rolling question though. Unless I'm daft?

Do you roll pre topsoil, after, or both?

Cheers

rake the soil out roughly level. then walk over it in oigeon steps lightly heeling it flat. Rake it again to get it level. to get it perfectly flat, pull a board over it to screed it. You can now lay the turf on top of that.

I personally dont roll it. we use a couple of sheets of 8 x 4 osb and roll over that with a full wheelbarrow. It gives a lovely flat finish and avoids anyone walking on the lawn whilst we are doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back