Turfing advice

By walking over it you'll only compact the first few inches, you need it compressed properly otherwise you'll have lumps and bumps. Just make sure to rake the top before turfing...

Getting there though ;)

Sponsored Links
You could support the sleeper from beneath buy a bag of postcrete lift the sleeper and dig a small area out around a foot from each end and fill with the postcrete to just above ground level this will flatten when the sleeper is back in place, making sure it is level, will work if your down to the more compactet sub soil, there is a book available called the lawn expert its around seven £ this will explain everything you need to know including a little on laying turf, feeding, drainage and some problems causes and how to deal with them, might find the book cheaper, not that id recommend buying from q&b they sometimes have the book in. Try and find a stockist of stewarts turf they supply uk wide

Hi,

So I have now removed 5 rubble sacks of bricks, half bricks, victorian glass bottles, pipework, metal stakes, roots but it still looks like your first picture Bolstr3? Looks like I need a second round of digging over with stone removal and clumb breaking up? My back is killing me!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

I am at the 4 x 2 stage now! My question is how much lower should the compressed ground be compared to the existing grass next to it? Say 1.5 inches below the bottom of the grass i.e. an inch for top soil and 1/2 inch for the dirt on the new turfs? Does that make sense?

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back