Turning boiler ON after long period

Did he test anything to establish that the Boiler was the culprit?
Nope he didn't do a thing, he turned the gas ON put boiler plug in wall socket fuse tripped and said "PCB blown old boiler no parts ... new boiler £1800", turned gas off, I asked him to confirm in writing, he said he will do in few hours but nothing since yesterday. He didn't even open front panel. So I suspect he is not genuine and making it a big issue. I think I won't tell the next gas engineer that boiler was turned off for so many years, I will just say tenant left and turned gas off.

Sponsored Links
Leave the gas off, reset the tripped MCB, without plugging the boiler in does it trip?

Plug the boiler in and turn it on, does it trip?

Leave the gas off, reset the tripped MCB, without plugging the boiler in does it trip?

Plug the boiler in and turn it on, does it trip?
The MCB doesn't trip without plugging the boiler.
When he plugged the the boiler and turned switch on the mcb tripped.
I am going there tomorrow, will test if socket is faulty, if so try different socket and then I may turn gas on and see if boiler works. Is this a good idea?

The MCB doesn't trip without plugging the boiler.
When he plugged the the boiler and turned switch on the mcb tripped.
I am going there tomorrow, will test if socket is faulty, if so try different socket and then I may turn gas on and see if boiler works. Is this a good idea?

The idea of it. Ring the socket is clutching at straws. Presumably the plug is for the whole system? Did he or you see a flash or hear a pop at the boiler?

Make, model and pics would help.

Don’t be dishonest or even economical with the truth. A decent guy will appreciate the heads up, and his questions will probably reveal the truth anyway, when upon it may be a bit embarrassing.

Sponsored Links
will test if socket is faulty

Unlikely to be that if it only trips when you plug the boiler in. Also more likely to trip the MCB than blow a fuse, generally speaking.

Be honest with whoever you get to look at it though.

Ring the socket is clutching at straws. Presumably the plug is for the whole system? Did he or you see a flash or hear a pop at the boiler?

Make, model and pics would help.
Don't know model number. Only have the pic which doesn't tell a lot, I am going there tomorrow. No flush or hear anything
There was nothing plugged in that wall sockets when engineer came yesterday.
boiler.JPG

Also, as a landlord, why weren't you having this serviced every year??

Andy

Andy, I dont think that commercial landlords are required to have an annual inspection (LLGSR), but could be wrong. Most commerciall leases are FRI (full repair and insurance, where the tenant is responsible for ECERYTHING!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back