TV Box???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has asked me to look into getting a tv box which has a mains lead and an HDMI cable which, when plugged in, gives access to a huge choice of films and tv programmes. Since I can't for the life of me figure out how such a contraption works, or even if it is legal, I would welcome some advice.

Sponsored Links
It is not illegal to consume illegally distributed copyrighted material. The offence is distributing it. You are merely consuming without a license and your liabilities are to copyright holder for the commercial cost of that license. In reality copyright holders don't have the resources to chase individuals, because in the UK at least the max recoverable amount is up to double the lost fee. There are lots of options, KODI on an amazon fire stick is the most common (even sold on amazon amusingly enough). This enables you to consume content from video streaming sites, who themselves commit an offence.

However, there are high court injunctions blocking many providers and it takes a bit of work to stay ahead of the blocks.

There are three ways to consume such content.
With a license - Subscription to Amazon prime e.g. with a fire stick, smart tv or media player.

Without a license
- a media server or NAS connected to the internet accessing torrenting sites (typically via a proxy server in the UK)
- a cracked/jailbroken smart TV stick allowing access to illegal streaming sites.

Your device needs access to the internet either wired or by wifi.

It is not illegal to consume illegally distributed copyrighted material. The offence is distributing it. You are merely consuming without a license and your liabilities are to copyright holder for the commercial cost of that license. In reality copyright holders don't have the resources to chase individuals, because in the UK at least the max recoverable amount is up to double the lost fee. There are lots of options, KODI on an amazon fire stick is the most common (even sold on amazon amusingly enough). This enables you to consume content from video streaming sites, who themselves commit an offence.

However, there are high court injunctions blocking many providers and it takes a bit of work to stay ahead of the blocks.

There are three ways to consume such content.
With a license - Subscription to Amazon prime e.g. with a fire stick, smart tv or media player.

Without a license
- a media server or NAS connected to the internet accessing torrenting sites (typically via a proxy server in the UK)
- a cracked/jailbroken smart TV stick allowing access to illegal streaming sites.

Your device needs access to the internet either wired or by wifi.
A very comprehensive reply and more than enough to confirm my fears. Will pass on the idea.

Sponsored Links
My wife has asked me to look into getting a tv box which has a mains lead and an HDMI cable which, when plugged in, gives access to a huge choice of films and tv programmes. Since I can't for the life of me figure out how such a contraption works, or even if it is legal, I would welcome some advice.

I'm guessing that neither of you are so stupid so's not to be aware of at least most of the present subscription based ways to do this ?

If you wish to do it for free, or at least massively cheaper than Woopert's offerings, then you need to be aware that The Investigatory Powers Bill was signed today. This means that EVERYTHING that goes up & EVERYTHING that comes down your internets connection is now recorded. Actually that's not strictly true, EVERYTHING was already being recorded but now your Doctors receptionist, that nice man at the council, your grandchildrens school teacher, Mrs. Johnson at the Post Office, MI5, MI6, MIx & just about every other Tom Dick & Harry can have a looksee :)

But HEY ! You not a terrorist so you have nothing to hide.

I'm guessing that neither of you are so stupid so's not to be aware of at least most of the present subscription based ways to do this ?

If failing to keep up with advances in technology is a sign of stupidity, then I've got to admit that, yes, I am stupid. Strangely enough, others in this place where we live, consider me to be to be a very clever bod not just because I have a mobile phone, but also because I have a computer and can google anything they want me to on both. Personally, I haven't the remotest idea "of the present subscription based ways to do this" and can guess that there are many thousands out there who, like me, lack the knowledge and understanding of technological advances.

My wife has asked me to look into getting a tv box which has a mains lead and an HDMI cable which, when plugged in, gives access to a huge choice of films and tv programmes

Does your wife really talk like that? She sounds like fun.

First question Motivated, is who supplies your broadband, as a lot of supplier can offer a tv package deal that will suit your requirements. The main ones are SKY, BT and Talk Talk. Sky will come out to you, install a satellite dish, and then connect up the sky box to your TV. Not sure how BT go about it, but like Talk Talk, they also have a TV box that will do programs, and let you watch programs that you've missed via the broadband.

The other option, is something like a straightforward Humax TV box that you'd get from Currys, and that picks up the TV signals, and allows you to record programs when you're out, but doesn't give you any of the catch up services or just released films.

If you can use the internet, then you should find enough tutorials to make life manageable.

First question Motivated, is who supplies your broadband?
EE
The main ones are SKY, BT and Talk Talk.
We also have Sky.
The other option, is something like a straightforward Humax TV box that you'd get from Currys, and that picks up the TV signals, and allows you to record programs when you're out, but doesn't give you any of the catch up services or just released films.
To clarify. My wife met a woman on a bus who was telling her about this "great little box" with a mains lead and HDMI cable which could be carried from room to room, plugged into the mains and tv in any room, which would then allow the viewer to watch anything and everything that's available free of charge. Didn't sound ligitimate to me, hence my reason for raising the thread.

If you can use the internet, then you should find enough tutorials to make life manageable.
Thanks for those kind words. Some of the negative replies one gets on forums can be quite distressing when the big A takes over your life.

If you want to watch free content, distributed to you under license. Then there is a world of smart tv adapters that will connect your tv to the internet to access a world of free content. If you want the latest movies, sport etc. then you need a subscription or you choose an option that gets you access to illegally distributed content. Much of which is made available via state sponsored espionage aimed at destroying the western economy.

Snoopers charter 2.0 changes nothing. relevant legislation is Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

Well may I chip with what I hope is a sensible answer.

I presume that you have a broadband connection that can support at least 2Mb download.

Then you have several choices.
1) as subscription (but if I understand your original question I don't think that is what you want) as detailed above.

I think you want 'free' content - as per terrestrial content + 'catch-up' ... So

2) an Amazon Fire Stick - check it out on Google there is Q&A's on there

3) buy a Humax box that is web enabled (e.g. FVP series (freeveiw i.e terrestrial) or HB or HDR series (Freesat)).

HTH's

My wife met a woman on a bus who was telling her about this "great little box" with a mains lead and HDMI cable which could be carried from room to room, plugged into the mains and tv in any room, which would then allow the viewer to watch anything and everything that's available free of charge. Didn't sound ligitimate to me, hence my reason for raising the thread.
Laptop ???

Sponsored Links
Back