TV Box???

Sponsored Links
It's a box (sort of) with a mains lead (not permanently required) and and an HDMI lead (not essential either) to TV which allows you to watch programmes and films.

Neighbour tells me that we already have access to various Sky programmes including movies but if I want to buy a fire stick, then he will set it up for me. I might take him up on that so thanks to all members who tried to help.
If I gave the impression that I was looking for something illegal, that couldn't be further from the truth.

Curious as to why you have both EE and Sky broadband?

If you have sky go, then EFL's post is valid - a computer connected to the telly will work.

Sponsored Links
Curious as to why you have both EE and Sky broadband?

If you have sky go, then EFL's post is valid - a computer connected to the telly will work.
We've had Orange (now EE) for years but Sky for just over a year. With our EE contract, landline is included and all non-premium telephone calls are free.

I'm guessing that neither of you are so stupid so's not to be aware of at least most of the present subscription based ways to do this ?

If you wish to do it for free, or at least massively cheaper than Woopert's offerings, then you need to be aware that The Investigatory Powers Bill was signed today. This means that EVERYTHING that goes up & EVERYTHING that comes down your internets connection is now recorded. Actually that's not strictly true, EVERYTHING was already being recorded but now your Doctors receptionist, that nice man at the council, your grandchildrens school teacher, Mrs. Johnson at the Post Office, MI5, MI6, MIx & just about every other Tom Dick & Harry can have a looksee :)

But HEY ! You not a terrorist so you have nothing to hide.

Any evidence gathered in such a way would not be admissible in court as the government is breaking the law by using such tactics.

As for the security services they have been breaking the law since the inception of the internet and routinely break into people's computers without the authority, I think they just wanted to 'legalise' breaking and entering.

There are also anonymous brower like tor browers which gives a level of privacy to the user.

Any evidence gathered in such a way would not be admissible in court as the government is breaking the law by using such tactics.

As for the security services they have been breaking the law since the inception of the internet and routinely break into people's computers without the authority, I think they just wanted to 'legalise' breaking and entering.

There are also anonymous brower like tor browers which gives a level of privacy to the user.

Errrm, I think that exactly the opposite is what you mean. This bill legitimises the gathered evidence to use against us in a court. How can your Guvmint be breaking the law when it's just passed the bill to legitimise . . . . Oh, never mind.

You can spend 1000's of hours Googling this snoopers charter & still not be fully aware of all its implications.

They are not looking at so called terrorists, they are looking at us, you & me, our friends & our families, everyone.

Do you not believe the revelations that Edward Snowden has revealed?

You think TOR is really secure? Really?

Errrm, I think that exactly the opposite is what you mean. This bill legitimises the gathered evidence to use against us in a court. How can your Guvmint be breaking the law when it's just passed the bill to legitimise . . . . Oh, never mind.

You can spend 1000's of hours Googling this snoopers charter & still not be fully aware of all its implications.

They are not looking at so called terrorists, they are looking at us, you & me, our friends & our families, everyone.

Do you not believe the revelations that Edward Snowden has revealed?

It's not 'law' it's legislation. They are legislative powers. Any evidence gathered unlawfully is not admissible in court and trust me when I say this, if local bodies try this snooping sh1t on a person for a civil matter with unlawfully gathered information, they open themselves up to prosecution.

You've misunderstood. I am agreeing with you, but we don't agree on how much power 'information' gathered in such a way has over a person.

I'm not referring to criminal stuff I'm referring to civil stuff, like debt etc. Take council tax, I'm assuming this legislation will be abused by councils and debt collection companies to find out who lives in a property, or tv licence or some such body.. how will this information help them achieve what they want to achieve? They still need consent and compliance, they still need forms signed, they still need an open door..it might help them track down a person quicker but that's it.. nothing more. There is also the glaring obvious here that it cannot be proven who is using a computer or any device for that matter on a network.. I think the government is surveillance obsessed and is p1ssing our money up the wall telling us we will be safer and more secure bringing in legislation that is just designed to crack down on freedom of speech and expression. So we agree.

I think it should never have been passed but I also think the efficacy of it is flawed. You will see the government taken to court as a result of this, many times over.

With regards to tor.. yes.. it does work. If you are a law abiding citizen and you value your privacy tor does work and is safe. Let's not pile everyone that doesn't want their life broadcast over the internet with bad and sick people, because one is not the other. Tor might not be fool proof but for the purposes of this new legislation yes it is an effective counter measure.

I just hope it does help them catch actual criminals: murders, rapists, child molesters etc. It sure as hell doesn't help them catch terrorists. In fact a senior plod was asked recently about all this internet snooping sh1t and was asked how many terrorists have been caught as a result of powers dating back to 2003 and I don't think there was one. He couldn't/wouldn't answer the question.

Last edited:

and just to be clear on this exact point, yes I think it's secure enough to stop government and private bodies from abusing the legislation.

Here's a good article :https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/snoopers-...r-mentioned-investigatory-powers-bill-1527403

''This is useful not just for protecting a user's activities online but also to help trick geographically restricted video content services such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer and the NBC TV app service, or enabling citizens to access services like Facebook, Google and Twitter in countries where the internet is censored, such as Turkey or China.''

It sounds as though the man on the bus left out a bit of the equation Motivated. The Amazon firestick tends to get left plugged into the back of the TV, so isn't what he was talking about, and Sky Go means you transfer the program you are watching onto a computer or a Tablet, so that doesn't fit the profile either.

Having a mains lead and an HDMI cable, suggest that you've got a main unit somewhere, and you can then go an watch in, say a bedroom, that doesn't have the main box; this almost suggests it's an adaptor for SKY box, but I've no idea about it. Is it Sky that you're trying to get in other rooms.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Any evidence gathered unlawfully is not admissible in court
I think you have been watching too many US crime dramas. There is no such rule in the UK.
s.78 Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 gives a court the power to exclude, but there is no requirement that it must have been obtained under properly executed powers.

In any case watching pirated TV is a civil matter, unless you also distribute it.

I think you have been watching too many US crime dramas. There is no such rule in the UK.
s.78 Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 gives a court the power to exclude, but there is no requirement that it must have been obtained under properly executed powers.

In any case watching pirated TV is a civil matter, unless you also distribute it.

I was illustrating that this legislation will be abused by bodies looking to exert greater will with regards to civil matters, but it won't give them what they want in the majority of cases.

Pirated TV? Do you mean watching a cracked live stream or do you mean downloading copyright material? Very different things. How can you prove who is using a device?

Sponsored Links
Back