TV in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a client ask.....

He is an owner of a double glazing manufacture.

He would like a 32" Nat Pan Plasma in the bathroom, on a wall that has a storage cupboard on the other side.
The wall is at one end of the double ended whirlpool spa and the position of the taps is in the wall halfway along the bath length.

So he is suggesting that power would be outside the bathroom zones, that he can provide a 'sexy' (his words) IP rated glass wall panel and that the TV would sit behind it.

Thoughts, considerations and comments appreciated.

Has anyone put TV inside a bathroom? How do hotels, penthouses and bling properties normally do such fittings?

Sponsored Links
Chri5 said:
He would like a 32" Nat Pan Plasma in the bathroom... double ended whirlpool spa ... 'sexy' (his words) IP rated glass wall panel...

WTF is wrong with people?

It's a bathroom. It's for crapping and cleaning.

Next thing he'll be wanting 'mood' lighting in a room that should contain only a bed a wardrobe and a place to put your alarm clock. Tell him to get a perspective!

As far as the installation goes, all you need to know is in the brown bible. Meet those requirements and Bob's your mother's live-in lover.

You know the sort, £15k of stone in the kitchen- he has a can compactor that rises from the worktop for squishing cans (rumoured cost £1000 for device and £1000 for the work in the stone).

Bathroom has a sealed steam room, wet area shower with spiral glass and is impressive.

House is in Hadley Wood, so £4-6m and the 4 car garage has £800k worth of motors in it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and I'll refer to the bible for regs.

I would ask that if anyone has done TV installs in bathrooms, could you offer up your methodology. Not trying to poach ideas, I'd just like to have some alternative ideas for future use. There's better ways to learn, than by trail and error.

Chri5 said:
I would ask that if anyone has done TV installs in bathrooms, could you offer up your methodology. Not trying to poach ideas, I'd just like to have some alternative ideas for future use. There's better ways to learn, than by trail and error.

The only way the TV will have a reasonable life expectance is to keep it OUT of the bathroom.

So he is suggesting that power would be outside the bathroom zones, that he can provide a 'sexy' (his words) IP rated glass wall panel and that the TV would sit behind it.

Which is a very sensible way to do it.

Another way ( depending on TV ) is to have a small fan blowing dry air from the next room into the TV to create positive pressure to keep steam out. ( works well for cooling equipment in dusty areas so may work for a TV in a bath room )

Oh and make sure he has a good supply of remote controllers. They stop working after a dip in the bath, although a condom pulled over the controller and knotted does make them water proof.

Sponsored Links
Chri5 said:
I would ask that if anyone has done TV installs in bathrooms,
Not me but I've seen them in posh houses, don't know if you have heard of Waterproof TV

Details of wiring should be on there somewhere

masona said:
Chri5 said:
I would ask that if anyone has done TV installs in bathrooms,
Not me but I've seen them in posh houses, don't know if you have heard of Waterproof TV

Details of wiring should be on there somewhere

Masona- Thanks mate, thats a good link you supplied (added to IE7 favourites).

Towel rail TV looks p4nts :LOL: :LOL:

Put a window in the wall through to the back of the cupboard then mount TV in the cupboard. Seems easier and safer than trying to build an enclosure.

:eek:

Let me have his address i can think of a 1000 better things i could spend his money on ;)

i like a nice long soak but how pruned would you be after a good film :LOL:

Watch every Star Wars film, with the colour washed LED up lighters set in sync to the Dolby 9:1 in ceiling speaker system.

Crinkly toes or what :LOL:

So, has he worked out that the cold glass panel will mist up while he's in his hot bath? No, wait....of course, he could invest in gold film heating to ensure that the glass is kept above the dew point...

kevnurse said:
So, has he worked out that the cold glass panel will mist up while he's in his hot bath?

dont think it will be the bath doin the misting, has he got sky :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: sounds like a right pimp palace :eek:

Hi Chri5

Not sure if this will help but Sanyo do a 32" LCD flat panel monitor we sometimes use for CCTV installs. It has an IP rating for use outside and a buffet of input options. No audio or tuner but waterproof speakers are a plenty and he will probably connect to sky anyway.

Sanyo Security 01923-246363

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back