TV in bathroom - regs and safety

Sponsored Links
Change the MCB.
I have considered that - and, as you will have seen, suggested it as a 'solution' to winston. However, I have 'resisted' it myself because, albeit for no particularly good electrical reason (unless one believes that a circuit's OPD is there to protect things other than cables), I want to avoid any hassle due to eyebrows going up if/when someone comes across a 16A/1mm² lighting circuit in my house in the future! Not a very good reason, I agree!

Kind Regards, John

Is that the modern day version of "if the fuse blows, but thicker wire/kitchen foil/nail in it until it stops blowing" :evil:
Not really. It's a modern day version of protecting a lighting circuit with an OPD whose rating is appropriate to the CCC of the cable.

As has been discussed, the tradition/habit of using a 5/6A OPD on a circuit whose cable has a CCC of ≥16A seems to have arisen only for historical reasons.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Is that the modern day version of "if the fuse blows, but thicker wire/kitchen foil/nail in it until it stops blowing" :evil:
No, of course not, it is an answer to winston when he decrees that sockets should not be put on 6A circuits.

As they are likely to have 16A or 20A conductors, then ...

As has been discussed, the tradition/habit of using a 5/6A OPD on a circuit whose cable has a CCC of ≥16A seems to have arisen only for historical reasons.
And the fact that few accessories used on lighting circuits are rated for 16A ?

And the fact that few accessories used on lighting circuits are rated for 16A ?
We've been through this umpteen times before. I don't doubt that a good few people would cite that reason, but they are presumably ones who believe that the circuit's OPD is there for reasons other than protecting the circuit's cable.

Very few, if any, loads normally connected to a lighting circuit are capable of creating an overload situation (i.e an overload current passing through any accessory) and, as for 'fault currents', they are usually going to be so high that they would trip a B16 almost as quickly as a B6.

Kind Regards, John

We've been through this umpteen times before. I don't doubt that a good few people would cite that reason, but they are presumably ones who believe that the circuit's OPD is there for reasons other than protecting the circuit's cable.
Are they also ones who can answer EFLI's question?

Are they also ones who can answer EFLI's question?
I doubt they'd think it necessary to answer - they would probably regard it as 'wrong' to have an accessory 'rated at' a current less than the In of the circuit's OPD connected to the circuit, regardless of what currents through the accessory could reasonably be envisaged!

Kind Regards, John

I doubt they'd think it necessary to answer
That should be more accurately re-phrased as "I doubt that they'd have the ability to understand why they should be able to answer it".

- because of their ignorance they would probably regard it as 'wrong' to have an accessory 'rated at' a current less than the In of the circuit's OPD connected to the circuit, regardless of what currents through the accessory could reasonably be envisaged!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back