TV in bathroom - regs and safety

Google is your friend.
No no no.

You made the claim, you must know where the evidence is which justifies it, and you must provide it when asked.

If you won't then then it is clear that you cannot, and that you know you are telling us something untrue.

Sponsored Links
No I don’t think that’s your actual setup, I just thought what BAS had written was pretty funny, not just in terms of what you’ve said, but in terms of the whole 13A outlet on a 6A MCB.
Fair enough.

However, I agree with you and BAS. There is, of course, a potential hazard associated with being plunged into darkness in a loft, but that can happen due to a power cut or other reasons, so if one is concerned about that (very unlikely) situation, one should install some battery-backed up 'emergency lighting' in the loft.

In response to BAS's comment, I have no real concerns about anyone currently living in my house (or working in my house) 'mis-using' a socket they come across in my loft. However, I suppose some people would be concerned on behalf of future occupiers of the house.

I suppose that those who have such concerns could feed the BS1363 socket via an FCU with a 1A fuse (and maybe 'labelled' appropriately!) - which would almost certainly blow before the B6 if, per winston's fears, someone plugged in a vacuum cleaner or heater. Of course, some bright spark might subsequently change the fuse in the FCU, but there is a limit to how much idiot-proofing one can do!

Kind Regards, John

... the TV provided information is a very poor guide, and different TVs give different results.
it depends on the TV, but only 2 days ago I was working with a tuner that gave an actual numerical reading of BER. And even for those that don't, most give both a signal strength and signal quality indication (note that I said indication, not measurement) which if you have a clue will give you all the information you need for a DIY install.

So called rabbits ears are VHF aerials for DAB or FM radio, so completely unsuitable
Keep digging, that hole is getting deep now :ROFLMAO:

Because, by your very own admission, in the very same post (even though you screwed up the quoting) you stated that :
There is a great difference between a 500kW transmitter LOS 1Km away and a 1w relay LOS 10Km away. The first will give severe overloading with a bit of wire ...
So "a bit of wire (which is effectively what rabbit ears are) can give you too much signal" whilst also being "completely unsuitable" (your words, not mine). I'll take "too much signal" any day - losing it with an attenuator is trivial, dealing with too little (or too poor S/N ratio) is a lot harder.
Now, had you said "unsuitable except in very strong signal areas", you'd have got away with it - but you didn't.

Sponsored Links
it depends on the TV, but only 2 days ago I was working with a tuner that gave an actual numerical reading of BER. And even for those that don't, most give both a signal strength and signal quality indication (note that I said indication, not measurement) which if you have a clue will give you all the information you need for a DIY install.
If you believe that you are just as naive as those that believe they can test electrics with a neon screwdriver.
Think. Why do aerial installers spend several hundred pounds on signal meters?

Why do aerial installers spend several hundred pounds on signal meters?

Inflation........

lab_craft 415.jpg

The first company I worked for back in the 1960's

We have had a few instances where alarm engineers would not change there panels as

I suggest for someone who consistently uses 'there' instead of 'their' that is coming on a bit strong.

Do you actually know the difference between 'there' and their'?

... I do not have such an object in my loft, and would not personally bother to use one. The photo was of something I mocked up in a couple of minutes this morning
OK - no - I didn't realise that. Sorry.

(note the cardboard 'wall' to which the socket is attached!)
Not my day, is it....

(if one shared winston's concerns about misuse of the socket).
I can't see why anybody would have such problems of people wandering around in their loft unplugging/plugging things that they felt they needed to make a plug or wallwart only removable with a tool.

I can't see why anybody would have such problems of people wandering around in their loft unplugging/plugging things that they felt they needed to make a plug or wallwart only removable with a tool.
I'm inclined to agree. However, if such a socket was anywhere other than in the loft, I would want to do something (even if just label it) - not the least so that I did not forget that it was on a 6A circuit!

Kind Regards, John

not the least so that I did not forget that it was on a 6A circuit!

Been there. Sockets on a 6 amp MCB for a lamp, the broadband router, distribution amp and door bell power unit . One day about 3 years after I installed it I plugged the electric drill in.

Ah yes, the "there's a socket, I'll use that" problem.
Many years ago, with a different work hat on, we had a power cut at work. The landlord (these were converted cow sheds) had a small petrol genny - so we ran some extension leads through to the server room and got some systems running. Our own offices were dark, but at least other sites could work.
I was in there, and suddenly I heard the fans in the ancient UPS slow down, the contactor rattle a bit, then the fans speed up again. This repeated a couple of times - but amazingly the systems managed to stay up.
I ran down the corridor to where the genny was, to find someone with an angle grinder in his hand. While the power was off and other duties were on hold, he'd decided now was a good time to get some maintenance in - and here was power for the angle grinder. When he took a deep cut, the genny slowed under the load ... :rolleyes: I'm tempted to say he learned some new vocabulary then - but I think he already knew it.

Been there. Sockets on a 6 amp MCB for a lamp, the broadband router, distribution amp and door bell power unit . One day about 3 years after I installed it I plugged the electric drill in.
I'm inclined to agree. However, if such a socket was anywhere other than in the loft, I would want to do something (even if just label it) - not the least so that I did not forget that it was on a 6A circuit!
Change the MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back