TV not working !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gday everybody,

Would like to know how you can tell if the picture tube is defective on a 6 year old 34 cm TV .

I am trying to get out of taking it to a repair place where they charge a service fee of $25 whether they fix it or not .

This TV just went suddenly , worked the night before in the kitchen where the wife uses it and she switched it off and then it started up the next morning with a bit of buzzing and then that stopped and thats it , Nothing after that at all .

I dont want to pull it apart because I know nothing about them , but if it was switched on and the light was red in the front when the switch was applied would you also expect to see a light on at the back of the picture tube ?

This TV owes me nothing , and I could just as well put it in the rubbish bin , but something is holding me back , just in case it is an easy fix that I could do myself .

thanks

Peter :)

Sponsored Links
dont know much about tv but you dont say if you have sound or not :D ;)

Thanks for answering , no It has nothing , just the little red light on the front that comes on when you switch it on . Do you think there is a possibilty that there should be sound if the tube is gone .?

peter

Very unlikely that the problem is related to the tube itself.

You may have a failure in the power supply section, however this is often the result of something else gone wrong.

Unless you're good at electronics, $25 is pretty reasonnable to get a diagnostic.

Sponsored Links
When a tube goes it's usually a very gradual process. The picture just gets dimmer and dimmer over a period of time (the sound will remain unaffected). Tubes can go sudddenly but it's rare. So, the fault is likely to be something other than that.

It could perhaps be a bad connection, a fault in the power supply, a fault in the line circuit or a transformer gone wrong (the horizonlal output one maybe). It really needs looking at by a someone used to fault finding on TVs.

Getting it repaired is a gamble. It could be a simple repair and when done, the TV could work well for a few more years. The fault could also go the other way and you might pay someone to look at it only to find the repair isn't worthwhile.

In view of the price of TVs these days, it might be best to just get another one. 10 years is a good life for a TV. 6 isn't too bad. Have a read of this page. It could help you decide what to do for the best. Not all of it applies but some of it might: http://tinyurl.com/3l5m6

Is it worth checking the fuse on the circuit board ? I know you shouldn't take the TV cover off unless you know what you're doing.

Thanks everybody for their replies , with the help of a technician I have traced the trouble to the Onwa power supply , or he has to most probably a couple of capacitors and is walking me thru the repair of same . This seems to be a problem with these types of sets every 4 years so he tells me . :)

Thanks

Peter

I was going to suggest the line out put transformer or transistor, but as your TV has the ONWA PSU it's very likely to be that which has failed.
The ONWA PSU is on old PSU designed by Samsung who sold it to many other manufacturers as it was cheap to build and used fewer components than other PSU's, but it is known to fail, so there are plenty of repair kits available for these. Charles Hyde Ltd. in the UK for example supply them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back