Tv points before plastering job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've had a rewire but the tv points have not been done as yet. Its a 3 bed semi and I'm aiming to go for Virgin Media. Before the plasterer starts will it just be the tv points I will have to insert and what's the best way to run them (along the wall in conduit)? Ive heard of people putting cables up into the loft? Im aiming to have a large flat screen downstairs and will need to cater for ny wires for this also.
I'm not too clued up about cable tv etc so apologies in advance.
Cheers,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Virgin media surface mount their connections so it would be of no value to sink back boxes for their kit.

Both really the TV points and any other cabling I may need. Cheers the Virgin answer makes sense. Just worried that I'll need wiring chased in somewhere for the tv that ive overooked!

Sponsored Links
TV on the wall?

Think about what you want connected to it,

VM Box
Blu Ray
PC
Xbox/PS3 ect.

So a HDMI from each ( if you have 4 ports). And or a VGA lead.
Has the tv got AV reversal for audio ( surround sound ect)
Power.
Ariel?

Where i have my Tv I put a large trucking in the wall I think it was about 100x50mm.
At the top i have put a fused spur and a letter box type entry .
From that spur is the 3 power leads ( PS3 TV and cable)
The PS3 and the Virgin box are on a shelf below
I have a cut out in the skirting board to allow other cables to be passed up such as the Wii and Virgin signal lead
As i have the shelf below since changed from the picture I only needed 0.5m hdmi leads
Before

After

Virgin media surface mount their connections ...

I found with my co-operation, the VM guys where perfectly happy to let me pull their cabling through my prepared route - no problem.
Although nothing mixed in trunking with mains AC!

In my old place they more or less just stuck a spade into the lawn to create a slot and shoved the coax in, completely unprotected.

In the photo above, that trunking looks to have taken a fairly substantial chunk of brick out of the wall... Wont that potentially have seriously weakened it?

Cheers definately gives me a few ideas. I was thinking about putting power point on the chimney breast where the tvs going but not sure if this would be the best idea tbh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back