tv sound system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys am looking for a sound system for my new tv, and yes the prob is what do i get.

i dont want the dogs nuts, just something that will make the sound better than the standard tv.

so of course would a sound bar do on its own or a 2.1 system??

Sponsored Links
You need bass as a well as better quality sound in general. Any small speaker system isn't going to do bass. So if a sound bar floats your boat then you need one with a sub, or you want bigger speakers.

What's your budget?

For the money you have to spend, which isn't a lot, you want to consider a DVD home cinema kit. You might not want another DVD drive, but economies of scale make these cheaper than a proper separates system. They are aggressively priced and there is a reasonable choice of models. Also, because they come with a sub you'll get better sound than a soundbar for the same money. The next hurdle is getting a signal from the TV to the system.

I doubt that £100 is enough to get one with Audio Return over HDMI, and you might even struggle to get one with an optical input. SInce very few TVs now have dedicated audio outputs (red & white phono sockets) you need a fall back option. That next best choice is the SCART plug on the back of the TV. LGs still have one. Some home cinema kits also have SCART, and a button on the remote to select "TV Audio" which is the sound via the SCART connection. Failing that then a kit with an AUX socket would work.

It's over to you now. I've pointed you in the right direction of the features you need. You'll have to look at the specs on the manufacturer's web sites to see which products tick those boxes.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply chris, ive noticed you have pretty good knowledge on these subjects.

i will look into what you have said.

If you would consider secondhand and stretch your budget by a few pounds then this would be perfect for you.

I was rather disappointed with my system. It works A1 but with speakers spread around the room and the volume set at a level where we all can hear the dialogue then the sound also travels to other rooms in the house so it spoils the viewing for anyone in another room trying to watch another program. I would also guess my neighbour will also hear what's on.

However using the TV's own speakers we can hear the program well without the sound spreading throughout the house.

So from experience first step is sound proof room before adding extra audio system or like me you will find to be considerate to other members of house hold means the system is never or seldom used.

I think you'll be searching for a very very long time. This kind of feature went a long time ago. It's now getting hard to find a TV with any sort of output let alone a pair of speaker sockets.

Like it or not, you might not have a choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back