TV wall and new socket plus chasing ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I want to put a TV up on a wall ( an old bricked out of use chimney) no gas there. But I don't want wires everywhere.

I'm considering putting a socket in the wall . My questions are as follows

1) can I spur a new socket from any socket (ground floor)? How would I know if its it's been spurred already ? Would I have to follow it to the other nearest socket.

2) how difficult is it to chase in a bracket wall? I've never done this before. Even though I can connect sockets etc .. how deep would it need to be ?

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
So the tv is going on the disused chimney brest. You could use the old fireplace for your equipment - bluray, games console,tv box or whatever and then add surface mounted socket at the back and then run all associated cables up the chimney and come out behind the TV. You should aslo maintain an airflow for the chimney.
Maybe to avoid any electrical work you could perhaps run a trailing extension cable from the nearest socket to a point in the fire place.

So the tv is going on the disused chimney brest. You could use the old fireplace for your equipment - bluray, games console,tv box or whatever and then add surface mounted socket at the back and then run all associated cables up the chimney and come out behind the TV. You should aslo maintain an airflow for the chimney.
Maybe to avoid any electrical work you could perhaps run a trailing extension cable from the nearest socket to a point in the fire place.

There's no fireplace. It's just a chimney breast. We're actually moving into the property in a week.

No carpets or anything atm. Just floorboards. That's why I thought I can use this as an opportunity.

Yes perfect opportunity. If there is a chimney brest then there should be a fireplace - boarded up by the sound of it.

Sponsored Links
I would take your time to consider your options in case you might want to fit a wood burner

How would I know if its it's been spurred already ?

One T&E at the socket confirms it's a spur, two means it might be on the actual ring. To make certain, if the two T&E's are parted, the circuit made live, then both T&E's should be live if they are part of the ring. However, if one shows to be dead, then the dead is the spur to somewhere else, or it's potentially a radial circuit.

so you end up something like this - not my photo. But I have done the same but added an extra bit on the side that incorporates an ikea bookcase that facing to the side and not the front - this then gave me enough extra room on the brest for my surround sound speakers each side of the TV, unlike the picture that the tv gos right to the edge.
At the back of the fireplace hole - if that plasterboard is off the wall by 2 inch on battens then you can have your cables go behind this and up the chimney to the tv. Also if you did this you would not have to do any chopping in and you can use a drylining socket box.
Also on the front of the brest into the skirting board there can be fitted an air vent that gos under the dvd shelf and then behind the back section to maintain an airflow up the chimney.
tve.JPG

Attachments

• bookre.JPG
    bookre.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 24
One T&E at the socket confirms it's a spur, two means it might be on the actual ring. To make certain, if the two T&E's are parted, the circuit made live, then both T&E's should be live if they are part of the ring. However, if one shows to be dead, then the dead is the spur to somewhere else, or it's potentially a radial circuit.
This was great help. Thank you !

So if its confirmed it's part of the ring and not a spur. I can really spur from any socket if it's a double one ?I can't see that making any difference?

so you end up something like this - not my photo. But I have done the same but added an extra bit on the side that incorporates an ikea bookcase that facing to the side and not the front - this then gave me enough extra room on the brest for my surround sound speakers each side of the TV, unlike the picture that the tv gos right to the edge.
At the back of the fireplace hole - if that plasterboard is off the wall by 2 inch on battens then you can have your cables go behind this and up the chimney to the tv. Also if you did this you would not have to do any chopping in and you can use a drylining socket box.
Also on the front of the brest into the skirting board there can be fitted an air vent that gos under the dvd shelf and then behind the back section to maintain an airflow up the chimney.
View attachment 335494

This is brilliant. In the pic you shown above. Is the socket behind the TV ? I know its jot yrs but that's quite high up if it is.

I need to go home and check if it's plaster... if I end up putting a drylining socket box. Then the socket will below the TV as it will be below the TV height ?

So if its confirmed it's part of the ring and not a spur.

Yes, always providing it is part of the ring. You are not allowed to spur, from one which is already a spur.

If you make the spur a fused spur, then there is no limit on the number of sockets you can feed from the fused spur.

I can really spur from any socket if it's a double one ?

Yes - double or single, it makes no odds.

This is brilliant. In the pic you shown above. Is the socket behind the TV ? I know its jot yrs but that's quite high up if it is.

I need to go home and check if it's plaster... if I end up putting a drylining socket box. Then the socket will below the TV as it will be below the TV height ?
I am guessing that this chaps socket is behind the TV.
In my set up I have two double sockets that are in the fireplace hole at the back - behind what looks like the chaps sound bar next to the candle sticks. I added them to the ring main to keep the ring, plugged in I have the TV, a sound system receiver and a bluray player and a now tV box. The wires and connections go down in a hole and up the back out through a hole behind the TV so no wires are seen. I also have wired LAN cable direct to the router in there too and the wires for the surround sound all hidden.

So the old fire place hole has been filled in. It already has an air vent.

The wall has been skimmed.

The hole that has been filled seems hard and NOT hollow when i knock on it. So I'm assuming it maybe brick behind the plaster skimming.

Its far more hard work to brick it up and then plaster, mostly they are boarded up and skimmed.
Nothing to stop you knocking out the filled in brick work and exposing the fireplace. But its turning into a bigger job. But you could do it before you start putting furniture in there. Then again I suppose that you have got enough on your plate just moving in.
I wonder if you could temporary extend the socket to fit it next to the vent then drill a hole at the back of the TV and pass the TV power cable down the chimney and bring it out through the vent and plug it in - not pretty but will do until you have more time.
But the supplied cable may not be long enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back