Twin Socket - Need to blank - Any thoughts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Draft question,

I have a twin socket next to where I want to place a childrens bed, to stop them messing about with the socket I was planning to put a blanking plate in place of the socket with the wires connected to a terminal block to continue the ring main. The socket is fitted within plaster board and not surface mounted.

Is this the correct and best way of achieving this for the next few years, or is there a alternative method.

I will need to reactivate the socket in the future.

Cheers

Coops

Sponsored Links
Someone once pointed out to me that without the so-called 'safety plugs', the shutters on the socket provide good protection against inserting metal objects into the socket, but that the 'safety plug' provides the ideal tool for the kid to jam (upside down) into the earth pin on the socket to get the shutter open. :confused:

Sponsored Links
The other thing, of course, with those Ikea items (which they really should not be selling) is even if you do get one into a socket, as ours aren't recessed like a Schuko it'll come out without using the tool...

The other thing, of course, with those Ikea items (which they really should not be selling) is even if you do get one into a socket, as ours aren't recessed like a Schuko it'll come out without using the tool...

We take trailing extension sockets fitted with Schuko plug when we holiday in Germany. Funny thing is, last time we got back we found a child proof attachment stuck to the back of the plug. Guess it wasn't fitted correctly.

Belboz: those look like a good solution for the OP.

How about a Multy Kontact Logic Plus socket outlet, the shutter mechanisms on Line and Neutral are are practically impossible to override unless you are inserting a real plug?

How about just replacing the socket with a bit of choc-block and a blanking plate?

Cheers for all the comments posted, They have been very helpful.

If they are anymore, then please continue to post.

Thanks again to all of you.

Coops

Thanks Ban all Sheds

What amp rating should I get for the choc-block (connnector Strip).

I have some 15 amp but should I go for 30 amp to play safe.

Cheers

Coops

Definately get the 30A.

(I've always thought it strange that they don't retest them call them 32A connectors these days).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back