Two Programmers - Mid Position Valve - Is this possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently fitting a new heating system to my house, and as part of it i'm putting some heating into the garage.
The house control side of things is done with a Vaillant VRC430 controller.
I'd like to have a system where I have a seperate programmer/thermostat in the garage so that it's possible to have the garage heating on, and not the rest of the house, and the house heating on but not the garage, or both.
I think this is possible with a mid position valve, which i've already got, but not 100% sure how it can be made to work.
I assume i'd have to send two seperate run signals to the boiler (ecotec 837)

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Planning exactly the same system myself, it's usually referred to as an S-Plan Plus system, ie HW and two heating zones. I'm planning to use a new Honeywell wireless room stat for the house heating, and a 'standard' 2 channel programmer for the HW and garage heating. This system will use 3 two port valves. There's loads of very useful info on Honeywell's website.

If you use a three port then it will be either/or ! Thats may not be what you really want!

A three port can be used as a two port.

Edit: as Dave has later pointed out you could wire it as a "Y" plan and have either or both.

BUT as neither port can be closed that would only work with a combi boiler but not with a heat only unless it contained a diverter valve like some Viessmanns.

Tony

Sponsored Links
None of it compatible with VRC430.

Yes that's right, I think the OP should consider getting standard controls. My system has a VRT360F and a standard programmable stat, it doesn't work as planned. Now it's going to be changed for standard controls.

As Simon said, but you could use a 3 port mid position valve and wire as a standard Y plan, except you will have 2 heating zones rather than a heating and hot water zone.

All the wiring would go back to a wiring centre/junction box then the switched live on the boiler (terminal 4) would be wired to the junction box switched live output.

You could use 2 Honeywell CM 927's. Probably the best of the independant controls available at present.

Hmm thanks for the replies, I've already got the VRC430 and want to use it due to the weather compensation etc..
Funny how vaillant advertise it as being possible to use with a 2 zone system, and yet when you want to buy the wiring control centre to do it they say its not available in the UK.
I might make things simpler then, and just wire a 2 port valve up to a thermostat to it closes the garage heating off as it reaches temp, just have to rely on the fact it'll only work when the house heating is also on.

Thanks anyway guys.

I haven't seen any claims from Vaillant in advertising that it will work on a two zone system. Certainly isn't mentioned in any of their sales literature. It is mentioned in the VRC430 manual but then so is all sorts of other stuff not available over here, it is a pan Euro manual.

I would expect that the two zone will be on their 'product roadmap' but they have not given a release date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back