Two way hallway socket with outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone like a challenge? :)

I have a two way light switch wired in my hallway (with a single switch the other end) and an outside light connected to the first switch I'm trying to rewire.

I have attached images that show the existing switch, and the new one including the previous wiring configuration (that works.)

I've tried every combination possible - and I've got close to creating the correct combination but somehow miss it every time by one issue (lights staying on, not switching off stuff like that.)

Can someone indicate how I wire this new switch into the cabling for the old one?

I have uploaded the images to my album here >>>

//www.diynot.com/network/ukmattj/albums/14883

Any help would be gratefully received, I'm doing my nut in on this one!

Many thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Old switch has terminals L1, L2, L3
New switch L/Com, L1, L2

Looking at the configuration

Wire like this
Old L1= new L/com
Old L2= new L1
Old L3= new L2

Thanks for the replies - that was fast :)

OK I so followed the instructions and wired thusly:

//www.diynot.com/network/ukmattj/albums/14883/55232

The outside light works perfectly every time, but the switch for the hallway does not operate (light stays on) UNLESS I turn it off at the other end of the hall then it operates perfectly on the new switch!

... don't say "just leave it off the other end then" lol :)

Am I going crazy or just doing something plain wrong?

Sponsored Links
The latter.

Read the Wiki articles on 2-way switching, use your multimeter to confirm that you've identified the cables properly, and connect it up correctly.

Please stop doing wiring-by-guesswork, there is only one basis to do this work and that is having a full and genuine understanding of how it all works and what you are doing. Nothing less is even slightly acceptable.

And just to be pernickety...

Far too much bare copper visible in the back of the switch connections.

The outside light works perfectly every time, but the switch for the hallway does not operate (light stays on) UNLESS I turn it off at the other end of the hall then it operates perfectly on the new switch!

So firstly it would be useful to find out were the permanent live is?
Take the red link out between the gangs, then explain what happens.
isolate before removing.
It maybe a case of swapping blue with red on two way!

I know which is the live, and I know which one is the switch but I'm clearly getting confused when it comes to the switch wire.

No offence...but I posted this topic for help. It is very easy to reply saying "read this and stop guessing" and much harder to actually help diagnose the fault I guess.

Oh I know the cabling is terrible, I'm just trying to sort out the problem before I wire it all up properly.

I removed the link cable between the two and the hallway lighting just dies... no switching either end so it's vital seemingly to the job... even with the new switch.

Oh I know the cabling is terrible, I'm just trying to sort out the problem before I wire it all up properly.
The cables will also need to be identified as being live, ideally by the use of red sleeving.
I removed the link cable between the two and the hallway lighting just dies... no switching either end so it's vital seemingly to the job... even with the new switch.

So that would suggest that red going to outside switch, that was linked, is perm live, without any test equipment it's down to trial and error.
But nothing should blow or become damaged
Replace link as before and swap red and blue of two way gang.
You did not alter the other switch?
Might be worth a picture of the inside of that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back