two way light always on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced a light and managed to lose track of what goes where (a few red herrings put there for me too).

I have a mains cable in the ceiling hole and 2 other 3 core wires (one of which I beleive is redundant).
The 2nd wire has no live feed until connected to the mains live and then I get power to the light switches.

when the light is wired up with mains live and the red of the other cable to the live on the light fitting and neutral of mains but no other to the light fitting, the light comes on and I have mains live in the switches but the light will not turn off.
The neutral wire from the 2nd cable is taped up but does become live when the switches are thrown.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
it sounds like you have connected the light across live and neutral, it should be across neutral andswitch wire (the second wire in the cable coming from the switch, which i presume is black as you said it goes live when the switch is thrown, this wire sounds like it is the switch wire, it should have red tape / sleaving on it to indicate what it does

you need to look at the switche wires to figure out what is going on. the live connection goes to common on one switch and the neatral goes to the light directly . from this first switch the 2 sitchewd wires (l1,l2) go to the 2 wires on the other switch (l1 L2) the return from this second switch (common) is the live connection to the light

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys. It's been sorted. Breezers note about connecting across neutral and then a few beers with a friend looking at the mass of wires has helped fix it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back