two way light switch problems

Have a read of this thread here here. and study the various diagrams for two-way switching.
As you will see there are various different ways to do two-way switching, which is why it is crucial that we ascertain exactly where each wire goes.

Check these links out for the basics of your multimeter. We will be measuring the resistance of a wire, from one end to the other. If we get near zero ohms, then we're each end of the same wire. :) If it shows open circuit (or very high resistance) then we're on two difference wires. :(

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/9.html
http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-measure-electrical-resistance-using-a-multimeter

You're welcome for the help. but remember the "thanks" button! ;)

Sponsored Links
I will have a wee look at these and hopefully get it a bit clearer in my head :rolleyes:

Thanks again and yes thanks button clicked too - more than once today

Just a wee update - I haven't actually been in the flat yet following a 'babysitting for a friend' emergency however a friend offerred to take his pal to have a look....insisting it could be fixed easily! :rolleyes:

Surprisingly I have been told that the main Switch plate RH side and third light switch are now working - in that the light which was previously on constyantly is now going on and off at the switch! Hadn't expected that!

Switchplate one, LH side of main swtichplate and bathroom and kitchen are still out! I am on an early shift tomorrow though and will be home in plenty time to look at it tomorrow late afternoon.

So I shall start with step one with Switch plate one and trying to match it up.

To add more confusion though the guy tonight thinks that there is no power at all going to the first switch plate and the other rooms.....which made me cast my mind back to the last time I had to get an electrician out a few years back. My top floor lighting all went - bathroom, kitchen and hall and he was able to fix it by fiddling with the red wires that run behind all the switchplate wires and are connected by 5amp blocks.

Hmm wonder if I have worked that loose with all my faffing which has lead to these light fails this time :?: :?:

Anyway step one tomorrow - back to switch plate one and get the multimeter and bell wire on the go.....I shall update on progress! :LOL:

P.s - had a wee look at the links - the multimeter I am grasping but the diagrams I still struggle with! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Ok game on - except the rules have changed slightly!!!

I clearly didn't pay as much attention to the multitude of wires behind the double switch plate as I thought I had...which I hope may make things easier!!

So basically main switch plate RH side which controls the downstairs light does have two red wires....except they don't both come from the same pipe as I previously thought! We have one red wire coming from one pipe and then we have another red wire coming from the pipe on the RH side which leads to the living room light...whihch thankfully, unlike all the other lights upstairs, is still working!! I am not sure how I failed to notice that - but there are about ten different sets back there!!

There are two red wires coming out of both of those pipes.....the ones that go into the back of the switchplate and then ones that are connected together in an amp block.

Now the guy that had a look at it last night has connected the red wire from the right hand side pipe (living room connection) into L2, he has connected the red wire from what I think is the downstairs pipe into L1 and the two blacks into the com. He might have totally stuffed it - but that downstairs light is now tunring on and off at this main switchplate!

However the third switch plate which is the other switch to control the downstairs light is not working at all.....it won't turn the light on or off and this switchplate has not been touched at all..... no wires changed! When I flick the switch the light flickers ever so slightly but stays on.

Ok so should I go with the original instructions or in light of the fact that wires are not quite where I thought there were coming from and we have a light that does switch on and off is there a different suggestion.....like call an electrician?? :rolleyes:

I shiould add - kitchen and bathroom lights are still not working and they haven't been touched - but in light of the multitudes of wires behind there I might have touched something!! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back