two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after having to replace the switch at the top of the stairs our two way switch no longer works. it switches on and off independently at both top and bottom but there is no flow between them to make matters worse all the wires are red. any ideas how to fix it :(

Sponsored Links
You need to determine what wires go where, was there no wiring diagram with the new switch?............Best get a spark to look at it :LOL:

was it working as a 2 way switch before you fiddled with it?

froudy said:
after having to replace the switch at the top of the stairs our two way switch no longer works. it switches on and off independently at both top and bottom but there is no flow between them to make matters worse all the wires are red. any ideas how to fix it :(

What do you mean by "it switches on and off independently at both top and bottom ", can you turn on/off the lights from each switch? or you mean both have to be on to get the ights on and both have to be off to get them off?

Sponsored Links
If the cables you have present are 3 core (blue, yellow, red) and a T&E (red,black) then this diagram is for you. If its not the same, let me know. I think you may have a 2G switch, but otherwise the circuit is the same.

if its singles, then if you can take a picture, do it and let me know..and i can have a think for you.

Alias

2waylight.jpg

as poster said in the first place
froudy said:
to make matters worse all the wires are red.

also there are coloured drwaings in the for reference section

Durr... :p i should read the question.

Wires should be as diagram, take a picture or something to give us a clue.

The End..

Thanks for your comments. At the bottom of the stairs the light switches on and off, and the same happens at the top of the stairs but you can't turn it on at the top and off at bottom and vice versa. Thought we had noted where everything went but obviously not quite as we thought!! Light worked two way previously but switch was smashed so thought was just a simple change over job. As said previously all the wires are red so how supposed to know whats what??

I was thinking of maybe its the old wiring where they borrowed the neutral off the upstairs lights...and the live from the downstairs...

Anyone remember what im on about, red singles.???

I've done another diagram, this shows the old style system lighting where singles were used. You would probably find that the landing light worked off the downstairs lights, and this is a key sign that this is the system used. They borrow a neutral from the upstairs, and the live from downstairs...(as per picture)

I hope the diagram helps you, this system uses 2 red going to the upstairs switch. Im sure you could work out which ones go where, normally they had a twin cable (2 single in a grey sheath) which carried the 2 way which the cores were red. The supply to the light was normally a single, and the supply in was normally a single.

Oldlighting.jpg

Any probs or more suggestions, post up..

Alias

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back