Two zone valve - volt free conrtact to fire combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

I'm just about the embark on a major upgrade of heating pipework to allow some zoning, and wondered if I was right in thinking that if I used a two port zone valve connected as detailed below for each zone, it would work how I want, which is to fire the boiler from a volt free contact.

Green/Yellow - Earth
Blue - Neutral
Brown - S/L from stat

Orange & Grey straight onto volt free contact to fire boiler.

If I don't put a permanent 230v feed onto the grey, to switch to the orange like normal, there's no reason why this shouldn't work and save a bunch of relays and unnecessary cabling - is there?

Sponsored Links
That's exactly it. Your boiler applies the voltage to the grey wire for you, and receives it back on the orange when the valve closes.

Sponsored Links
I'd usually wire the grey to the 230v output from boiler for external controls - where you would normally remove a link. This provides 230v back to boiler from orange when valve opens and microswitch makes to fire the boiler up. When the boiler power is switched off, it also means that you haven't got unnecessary live wires. If you use a wiring centre as a junction box it makes life easier. If you are fully zoning heating, don't forget a hydraulic bypass for pump overrun.

Bolshy, this is about volt free switching. Something I do more nowadays than traditional S-Plans.

yes as Dan says, most modern boilers use volt-free switching nowadays anyway so its the only way to do it s-plan wise (unless you want to unnecessarily add relays and complicate things)

Matt

Ps forgot to mention
To the op, that's exactly the way to do it Steve, as others have said

The microswitch in the zone valve is volt free - the boiler provides the signal to and from the valve microswitch, whatever voltage it may be - the programmable roomstat provides the voltage to open the zone valve, who mentioned relays? The BAXI Neta Tec for instance uses 230v switching, just as an example. This enables 4 core and earth to be used from the programmable roomstat to the zone valve, and twin and earth from the zone valve to boiler. What could be simpler?

I'd usually wire the grey to the 230v output from boiler for external controls - where you would normally remove a link. This provides 230v back to boiler from orange when valve opens and microswitch makes to fire the boiler up.

Perhaps you dont encounter modern bolers with low voltage switching.

But if you write that on an open forum then you will have hundreds of DIYers following your advice and damaging their boilers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back