relay for volt free switching

SimonD said:
It's an Ethos Combi.
Yes, we know that, but they make more than one. Maybe it matters??

SimionD said:
I found it in the cunningly concealed first sentence from the OP.
You ARE a clever boy. I looked to see how many boilers they make though. Perhaps you didn't?

SimonD said:
If the manufacturer says they want a relay on the volt free line who am I to argue.
You are, indeed, nobody. (Having a Softus moment, here! ;) )

SimonD said:
Who are you to argue? I thought you knew that boilers have to be installed to MIs?
I do know that you have to look in the correct MI's. As you don't know which one is being referred to, you presumably know that they all say the same, so you won't have any trouble telling us where it says you need a relay. I have looked in the most likely one, and not found it. Have you??

If you'd ever looked in the Honeywell 2-port MI's you'd also have had trouble finding where it says you have to use a relay to connect to a boiler.

So next time you aim to be a condescending pillock, get your facts straight first, okay?

Sponsored Links
Ohhh.... huffy puffy.

Forgive me, but if we are talking about facts I see precious little of them in your posting.

It was the OP that said Ethos wanted him to fit a relay.

Are you disagreeing with him and Ethos? If so, just say so.

I love you, ChrisR, especially when you get angry. :LOL:

Forgive me, but if we are talking about facts I see precious little of them in your posting.
I'm not the one trying to quote any - you're stating what's in MI's. And getting it wrong, for the umpteenth time. You need to learn to read.

It was the OP that said Ethos wanted him to fit a relay.
He also said Honeywell said he needed a relay.
And I said I didn't believe him. Got it now?

Are you disagreeing with him and Ethos? If so, just say so.
I think he has misunderstood. You're the one backing him up by quoting ethereal MI's - without knowing what you're talking about, as usual..

I love you, ChrisR
Well you need someone to constrain your demented ramblings.

especially when you get angry.
I don't get angry just putting a pitiable simpleton in his place.
You wouldn't like me when I'm angry....
troll.gif

Now orf you f*** and look up all those Ethos MI's like a good boy.
You never know it might be in one of them. I haven't said it isn't, just that I don't believe that you need a relay between a 2 port valve and a boiler. Evidently you do.

Edited to add the really frightening monster

Sponsored Links
Keep it boys you are brightening up a dull saturday afternoon. :LOL: :LOL:
Yeah, I must be bored. You just wind his key and off he spins. Digging himself a big hole :D

D_Hailsham, My house is heated with a Vaillant VCW 242 and is connected to three two port valves (S Plan)

No reason whatsoever, why a combi cannot be connected to S Plan or Y plan (done that as well.

DP in his defence. He never said it could not be connected to 3 motorised valves what he said was in this instance you would not call it an S plan.
But he was wrong by saying you cant have S plan with a combi.

What I said about an S plan was:
that description is used for a system where you have a zone valve for the hot water circuit and one or more zone valves for the heating circuit.
If you read the OPs question carefully, you will see he said:
the controls are wired as s plan 3 room stats 3 zone valves
There is no zone valve for the HW and one isn't needed as he has a combi boiler.

As for the relay, the MI do not say anything about needing one. All they do say is: AT NO TIME SHOULD 230 VOLT BE USED TO SWITCH THE BOILER.

(Their shouting, not mine ;) )

Unfortunately neither the Manufacturer's nor Honeywell's technical depts seem to be able to apply some lateral thinking to the problem so, as soon as the words "S-Plan" were said, they immediately thought of 230V going to the boiler. But, as I pointed out, this only happens because the grey leads on the volt free terminals of a zone valve are connected to a 230V supply. If the grey leads are connected to an unused terminal, the orange leads to another and these terminals are then connected to the boiler control terminals, the manufacturers requirements are met without the need for an expensive relay.

namsag said:
Does that mean if it has 4 valves its an S plan plus plus.
Of course it does , stupid :rolleyes:
And if you take a cover off one of the valves it becomes a Coupé S plan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back