U-Duct replacement boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I need to replace a 24KW boiler in a flat. The existing boiler is flued into a U-Duct. Obviously I need a non-condensing boiler, preferably RS
I have asked around to find Vaillant & Worcester do not make them for this system any more. I read Vokera do a Compact 24SE but are there any other makes/models worth looking at?
cheers,

Sponsored Links
Ideally no. This would involve putting a boiler in their tiny lounge with pipework visible and where the toddler plays. I looked at this option to start with as I would happily have installed a Vaillant but this is a definite no-no!!

Just a warning. There is a shaft of new laws and requirements regarding U-ducts and SE-ducts, requiring regular inspection etc. etc., which are causing confusion to many.

In our block we are even considering closing the duct, and forcing all residents top install new boilers with individual flues. If you do fit one of the few remaining non condensing boilers the end user may find they can't use it some time in the near future.

Sorry to be negative, but I know the head scratching currently going on here!

:(

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information. that adds even more worms to the can!! but very useful for the overall consideration!

The replacement appliance will also have to be confirmed as suitable for U-Duct/SE-Duct. From memory some manufacturers labelled them or even supplied modified versions.

What type of flue is used with current boilers in SE ducts?

Tony

I work for Vokera and as far as I know there is only the one make approved and that's ours.

To be fair however I knew of a fellow importing Worcester's from Scotland where standard efficiency boilers can still be found. Candidly that's what he says and what is said is not what is always accurate.

Ducts have always needed inspection and I'd be interested in what new regs you know of ripowell. I suppose if you're a private block and all leaseholders own the freehold you can do what you like.

There's also a fellow designing a lining system for ducts but as it has been explained to me I can't see a way of making it work.

Be wary of manufacturer's stating their condensing boilers are approved for use in SE and U ducts, they may well be but not in the UK, no condenser can or should be fitted to a ducted flue in the UK. The output of the replacement boiler should be the same as the original.

As VC says Vokera make one

but there competitor (?) Ravenheat also make a boiler ( non condensing ) for u & see ducts !! only 2 manus I am aware of ???

Incidentally OP if u go for a the u duct boiler & the only 2 available seem to be the Vokera or Raven.

U would be best advised to go for V.C's Vokera !!!!!!!!!

What type of flue is used with current boilers in SE ducts?

Tony

Open Flue
but rlpowell's comments about not being able to use it in the near future are disturbing!

Well ours are fanned flue but you fit without the terminal. I wish ripowell would enlarge on the comments.I think as long as the checks are OK the flue's will continue to be used. Possibly there are specific problems at his or her block.

Had to price one recently

Ravenheat make one as well

Only them and Vokera make boilers for these flues

Problem is that as its a non condenser you have to do the points check and as theres an outside wall for the flue then from what I can remember of the sheet (have not done one since about 2006) if there is somewhere that the boiler can go then cost, kids burning there fingers, doesnt look nice does not come into it

I am most prob wrong but if theres somewhere for a condenser to go then a condenser it is

Also the regs for U/se vents is a minefield ...... they should be inspected yearly and there should be a certificate to show this has been done .......... dont fit the boiler unless they can show you this ...

Anyone have a link to these regs?

So VC, what does this open flue look like?

What do I order in the merchants?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back