UC to replace existing RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently got a structural engineer to draw plans to replace an existing RSJ which was keyed into the wall and resting on another wall with a beam and column on one side.

The plans call for a 152x152 30UC as the horizontal beam resting on a 100x100x4 column.

All the calculations are there and I have no reason to doubt the application of the beam itself, but i have never heard of a UC being used in place of a UB. Just looking for reassurance that there is nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
They can be used no problem, when the properties of the column section are more suitable than a beam would be.

UC just means that the width and height are the same, UB means that the most efficient amount of steel is used for the (strength) when used as a beam.
Often you would want the minimum depth rather than minimum amount of steel used, so you would pay for a more expensive and heavier beam in order to get that.
Or there may be other forces at play, but probably not in your case.
I put strength in brackets because it's a simplification but hopefully you get the idea

UCs are often used under floors where reduced headroom might be an issue.

Sponsored Links
uc and ub are designations for universal beam and universal column. UC's are commonly used in refurbishment to minimise unsightly deep down stands or to hide beams within floors. They are less efficient so can be a little heavier, but much better aesthetically 152x152 uc's and 203x203 uc's are commonly used in refurbs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back