Ugly dry verges

Sponsored Links
To be fair they look worse because of the white wood, where the verge doesn't have that next to it they look better.

To be fair they look worse because of the white wood, where the verge doesn't have that next to it they look better.

"to be fair"

"to be honest"

"if I'm being honest"

"I'm not being funny but"

I personally can not stand all of the above precursors to sentences. However I dislike dry verge units even more....and that is saying something.

Sponsored Links
All those types in the photos are crap. There is no two ways about it

The only ones that do work and look OK, are the continuous ones. These can give some nice lines - especially if the colour is chosen well.

The problem is that the people fitting/recommending these to customers are doing so with no thought whatsoever to the design and what they look like. They are just selling a "maintenance free" solution, without a care in the world

The ones above don't match the character or style of the properties, you could say the same thing about window frames. I moved from one 80's newbuild estate to another, the first had white frames everywhere and I never thought anything of it. The second has brown frames everywhere, I wasn't as keen originally but now they are ok, except that the odd house has changed them (and their doors) to white and they stick out like a sore thumb and look terrible in the context of where they are, had they been in the first estate they would have been ok (probably).

I must confess to having them on my own home....however in mitigation, there is a reason. The gable elevation borders the Church land and i didn't want the headache or liability of having to seek permission for any future maintenance.

And they have been fitted correctly with full length battens etc.

Be aware also that you can not close the batten gauge down too much when intending to use D.V. units because they won't work.

You mean why has only a dozen units survived in a gentle breeze when the installer took time to screw into the failing verge mortar!

I did wonder if there had been more that fell off but afaik the other side doesn't have any at all. And if that had been the case, surely they would sort it out if they had gone to the bother of putting them on in the first place?

I would say about 1 in 10 houses I see with these fitted has one or more missing.

I have read a lot of these post and i have came to one conclusion. it comes down to if the customer likes the look and it is installed correctly then were is the problem i agree when installed wrong they do look bad [/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back