UMC TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a UMC TV (about 3 years old)
In the past every once in a while the volume will increase to 100 without any help from the controls and will not decrease. With a bit of messing at the TV and handset, this could be sorted out.
But the problem has escalated and every time the TV is switched on the volume ramps up. I have removed the batteries from the remote, just in case a button was jammed. The TV will now no longer function by the controls on the side of the TV.
Has anyone got any words of wisdom with regards to the fault?

Sponsored Links
If you're handy with a soldering iron then you could check for dry joints and bulging capacitors. Also perhaps look for problems around the switches on the side panel circuit board. Get a magnifying glass and torch to help with seeking out dry joints. For bulging caps do a Google search of what to look for, but it's basically a doming of the top or bursting at the base.

Quick fault finding tips involve applying heat from a hair dryer or paint stripping heat gun carefully to caps. You can also use freeze spray on silicon components such as transistors. Caution though...all this has to be done on live circuits, so if you don't already know what safety precautions to take then these are not things you should try.

If all this fails then it's time either for professional repair or a new TV. UMC isn't a main brand but rather a badge engineered product driven by price. You might want to think twice before throwing £100-£150 at a repair on a TV that hasn't proved so reliable.

The other option is going back to the retailer to complain. The Sale of Goods Act gives you some rights. You won't get a full refund or replacement unless the retailer is being very generous. But if you can show that the fault was inherent rather than caused by wear and tear or misuse, then you should be entitled to a partial refund. Check out SOGA for more information on this.

I had exactly the same issue with an Asus screen (I've also seen it branded Relisis).

It was a faulty volume up tactile switch on the set (not remote). The give away for me was the fact the volume OSD remained on permanently when in the fault condition.

Hope this helps!

IF the volume OSD remains on-screen then that's the obvious answer. However, the OP didn't mention it and hasn't bothered to come back so we'll probably never know.

Sponsored Links
Hello, I have not gone away. Not had chance to look at TV just yet.
The problem still exists, what happens is the TV will only come on be using the remote. The buttons located on TV do not function (they used to).
Once TV boots up, the volume indicator on TV appears and just keeps increasing up to 100. The volume button on the remote will not control the volume.
The volume indicator stays visual.

I don't know. I can't see it from here but I suspect that "replace or disconnect" is the answer.

(Short sighted.) :eek:

A photo of front and rear of the control might help me decide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back