Unable to bleed all air in sealed system until.... oops!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This whole winter I've had bubbles and gurgling in the central heating. It's a sealed system with 7 rads on one floor.
I went around bleeding all the rads, which went fine and improved things. But time the bubbles and noises always came back. Really getting on my nerves.
The system never lost pressure (unless bleeding) and was topped up with inhibitor.

I was going to post here asking for help... until this happened. I hope this f*!?-up helps someone:

After bleeding the system I topped up the pressure a little. But I failed to turn off the filling loop completely :oops:. After a few hours I went to the boiler to find water had sprayed out over the cupboard and the pressure was at 3 BAR!!!! It was obvious what I had done and the PRV luckily did it's thing. The coupling to a Fernox TF1 mag filter was weeping badly and obviously hated the over pressure event. Disassembling the coupling, it looks like it has old, degraded fibre washers, really crumbly. Luckily the service kit I had to hand had two fresh rubber washers. After installing these, securing everything back in place, refilling & rebleeding, everything luckily worked okay. AND no more air getting in to the system!!

I'm thinking the knackered fibre washers were in such bad condition they were allowing a little air in to the vaccume side of the system. Prior to fcken up, there was zero signs of any weeping at these joints tho.

Cheers & Happy New Year, LA

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back