Unable to fill radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took 3 rad's off upstairs during decorating.
shut valves both sides of the rads, All have thermo controlled valves, so took caps off and tightened the centre piece down to close off.
We used the central heating with those rads off.
I've put all 3 back on again, and put the thermo valves back to exactly same position.
Only one of the rads (a double rad) will fill up, the other two do nothing, I've tried closing all the rads off and working on each of the two that won't fill, they gurgle and start filling for a couple of mins then stop, nothing happens, no air from the bleed valves at all, tried pumping water round with just one of the troublesome rads and it gurgles as though small amounts of water is going in, but I get no air coming from the bleed, any Ideas? should I just persevere as I'm doing now with pump pushing water round until it eventually drives the air out, or has anyone any better suggestions

Sponsored Links
Partially blocked cold feed.

Search FAQ's on here for how to test for it and fix it ;)

It's an open vented system, and I 've checked the FAQ's on the cold water partial blockage, very likely the cause, I'll investigate and try the filling method suggested in the FAQ`s, if it works, then I know there's a blockage that needs sorting.
Thanks for the help and I'll feed back the results.

Another question, re-the thermo valves, having closed them in the past as I've just done now, I find they don't respond to temperature is there an easy way to set them up? I've tried (with the heating on) to adjust them then putting the tops back on leaving them for a while and adjusting again etc; but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Regards

TC

Sponsored Links
Does the FAQ tell you to check if there's water in the header tank. :rolleyes:

No FAQ's doesn't mention checking for water level in the tank, maybe it's asssumed that if the reader is competent enough to tackle blockages and or fit a by-pass hose, then they'd have the nous to check the tank level......but you never know ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back