Under cabinet lighting earth query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my old fluorescent tube T4s kitchen under cabinet lamps. However, I have bought T5s instead.

I am confident about chaning the starting lead which starts at a fused isolation/light switch. I can then daisy chain with connector flex.

However, the second lead is a spur for the other two lights on the other side of the kitchen and being T4 has no earth.

My question is, do these T5s require an earth, or can I reuse the existing cable and connect another T5 terminal to the T4 cable?

If it was easy to change the cable, I would just do that, but it runs behind some cupboards and tiling, too, from what I can make out.

The switch is on the light circuit for the downstairs at the fuse box.

Attachments

• 20231205_164308.jpg
    20231205_164308.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
OK, thanks. So I either need to source T4 Lead replacements and send these back, or get that two core cable replaced with one with three?

Can we have pics of exactly what you have got and what you are trying to do, as its a little unclear.

Sponsored Links
Except for a pendant, fixed installation require an earth taking to each appliance even if the appliance is class II. As to if that is always followed is another question.
So I can't connect a class II appliance, say a heater, or a TV, mounted to the wall, to an FCU with it's own cable? :unsure:
My understanding was there was to be an earth connection to each "outlet", not each "appliance".

I want to replace my old fluorescent tube T4s kitchen under cabinet lamps. However, I have bought T5s instead.
The difference between a T4 tube and a T5 Tube is only its length.
Fittings for both these tube types may, or may not require an earth (although dedicated under cabinet lights tend to be Class 2) - Do your new fittings have an earth connection?
What model are they?

However, given the effort you are going to with the wiring, I really wouldn't be bothering with tubes at all.
There are plenty of LED under cabinet lights available, that are also Class 2.

Last edited:
Yes, it was T5 replacement LED units I purchased and it has a three core wire instead of the two core the T4s use.

Except for a pendant, fixed installation require an earth taking to each appliance even if the appliance is class II. As to if that is always followed is another question.

Not sure I agree with this.

A class 2 appliance or fitting, supplied with a 2 core cable, can be connected to the fixed wiring via a fused unit or switch or junction box.

Best examples that spring to mind are cooker hood’s and LED lights

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back