Under the bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to check the plumbing aspects of a bathroom which is going in, which is fine, but an electrical matter is bothering me:

Bathroom installer chappie has put a remote-controlled type shower mixer in, under the bath (behind fixed bath panel) where I assume it's designed to go. But he's fed it from a switched fused outlet , fixed in the stud wall also under the bath.
The supply for that comes from the disused immersion heater mcb so it has its own switch there.

AFAIK, "under the bath", requiring tools for panel removal, is "out of scope" so
1) Does he have to be Part P qualified to do stuff there?
2) Isn't an RCD mandatory for this sort of thing?

Sponsored Links
Under the bath (accessible only with a tool) is out of zones, not scope, and is still within the bathroom and therefore still comes under Part P.

As for the use of a RCD, I would, but as it is a piece of fixed equipment you can get away without one - unless it says to use one in the manufacturers instructions - If the installation is TT then all circuits need to be on a RCD - also all circuits in a bathroom need to be included in the supplementary bonding.

is there the possibility of water getting into the lights of the room below if the bath seal leaks or the tub overflows?

same thing applies here..

Sponsored Links
If it is mounted so a leaking seal can allow a leak directly into the FCU relatively unnoticed then I wouldn't be happy about it being suitable for its environment.
I'm not sure on how accessable for I&T it will be either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back