Under tile heating question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im doing it myself, i know it needs to be done by a professional sparky but i cant really afford one or wait for one (cant fit me in for up to 3 weeks) but ive been talked through doing it when my mum got it installed and its a simple job for me because im wiring it to a small electric heater ive taken off the wall which has a fused spur already installed, so its just a case of wiring the thermostat to the spur and the floor to the thermostat....easy.

My only issue is that on the thermostat there is a connection point labelled as 'Pilot wire controller' then says underneath that its only on some models, which indeed it is on the thermostat which came in my kit, but do i use it? what is it for?

Also, the heating wire which is orange turns into a black wire where it gets wired to the thermostat (orange can't be cut but black can) so when i cut the black wire to remove the outer cover and expose the live/neutral wires inside there is also a number of thin silver coloured wires which run inside the outer black cable but outside the live/neutral wires (so running through the black cable there is a blue insulated wire, a black insulated wire and a load of uninsulated silver wires)....What are the silver wired for?

thanks in advance for your help

marc

Sponsored Links
marcanthony said:
My only issue is that on the thermostat there is a connection point labelled as 'Pilot wire controller' then says underneath that its only on some models, which indeed it is on the thermostat which came in my kit, but do i use it? what is it for?

What are the silver wired for?

thanks in advance for your help

marc

what do the instructions say they are for?

Sponsored Links
well we are not mind readers, so we didnt know the instructions that tell you how to wire it do not tell you how to wire it, why not ask the manufacturer they might know

it could be an earth, similar to SWA cable. But if the kit didn't come with a gland to terminate it properly, then this may not be the case. Best bet is to phone/contact the manufacturer to confirm, as breezer said.

How many connections are available on the thermostat? Is there 3? Is an earth available?

Being uninsulated i would say these silver wires are for earth but like i said confirm with manufacturer.

I have recently fitted under floor heating - what a joke. The person who laid it (not guilty) got too much and then cut it off - kept tripping rcd! On my heating cable, the "silver" wires are an earth as crafty mentioned. Also check if it requires RCD protection - mine did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back