Underfloor Heating question

Sponsored Links
Cheapest form of heating.

no disadvantages!

Tony

Cheapest form of heating, how so? Costs significantly more to buy than radiators, you have to run a fan motor in addition to your heating system, and if you want it to work really well then you also need to buy a programmable thermostat for it, which further adds to the cost. They're very good but by no means the cheapest option.

There is also one disadvantage - the fan noise can be a bit irritating.

Any power used by the fan contributes to the heating effect. Thats aboult 35w.

Cheapest because it uses the existing gas boiler.

A part UFH installation needs a circulating pump and thats about 80w with an older style pump and about 25w with a modern energy efficient more expensive pump.

The plinth heater will be about 1/3 of the capital cost of an UFH installation.

I do agree the nolse of the fan on max can be heard but kitchens are usually noisy areas with washing machines, boiling pots and kettling kettles and of course the radio!

Tony

and to add, usually an extractor fan or cooker hood humming away in the background anyway
They do get annoying when the fan/fan motor goes though, agreed

Sponsored Links
One of my customers insists on cooking dinner without using the extract fan above her cooker.

It gets very hot in there particularly near the radiator where I sit.

Tony

I have to cook dinner without an extractor, I don't have one!

That's what the back door is for!

Centrally Heated plinth heating looks interesting. Anyone got any experience with this...pros/cons vs UF? Thanks

Have had a plinth heater in our kitchen for many years. Runs off the central heating so as soon as the water reaches a certain temp it switches in and warms up nicely. Has a 2-speed fan so can blow quite hard but have never needed it. Easy to fit and would save digging up the floors!

My brother-in-law has underfloor in his rear extension and it seems to work well. Can't comment on cost but is controlled by a programmable stat. Takes time to warm up but holds heat well. Of course hos floor is well insulated as part of the build process. Not sure how much insulation you could install if you are having to dig up all your floors - seems like a lot of upheaval and mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back