Underfloor heating thermostat to boiler connection question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had an extension added to my house and an extra loop added to my underfloor heating system.

I noticed that whereas before, when the thermostats were not calling for heat, the control unit (which all the thermostats are connected to) would switch the boiler off (I have a Vailant Ecomax, so it used to show a "0" in the display to indicate this), the electrician has now set it to go to what he calls "standby" (it shows a "6" in the display, which the manual for the boiler informs me means "Boiler shut down on CH or DHW thermostat").

The difference is that the boiler still cycles and I note that even when the thermostats are not calling for heat, the manifold remains hot, indicating that the boiler is firing up. He claims that this is more efficient as:

"The reason for this is that instead of completely turning off as before the boiler goes in to a stand by mode, and accordingly requires less energy to fire up each time the temperature in the room drops and needs to be lifted. "

Does this make sense to anyone? It seems to me that having the boiler continually running during the day (when the temperature is set much lower) cannot possibly be more efficient than having it not running at all!
Any help gratefully received!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back