Underfloor heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Turns out our underfloor heating was attached to the kitchen lighting circuit - which explains why the breaker was tripping!!

Is there any reason why I can't re-connect it via a spur off a socket, if I run a spur from a socket to a fused isolator switch and then onto the heating controller?

Obviously I'm confident in my wiring abilities but want to make sure I'm inside the regs.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can do that, but please check that the circuit you will be spurring from is RCD protected. I'm wondering if the lighting circuit has an RCD?

Thank you for that.

The lighting circuit had a breaker on it but is not on the RCD side of the board. The kitchen sockets (where I will take the spur from) are on the RCD side.

Spark who came today was pretty amazed that anyone would do such a thing.

Thank you once again.

Sponsored Links
Because he was on a time rate of £65/hr and their to investigate a earth leak the Boiler installer noticed - which we reckon is a small earth leak from the dishwashers or computers as he couldn't see anything to worry about. The Kitchen sockets are through the RCD which he tested with a Megger unit.

Thought …
If the controls are outside the bathroom (as is usually the case), and the heating wire is underneath the floor, does this make it outside the zones of a bathroom - and therefore not notifiable work ?
Clearly there is a strong case for making sure it's tested by someone competent given the danger of wet bodies, bare wet feet, earthed plumbing, and so on - but still not notifiable ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back