underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am wondering the same thing: thinking of installing electric underfloor heating and want to calculate what the cost of running it might be. Can anyone advise on how the calculations would be done?

Very grateful for any pointing in the right direction.

elemoine

please do not hijack posts (see forum rule 20)

Sponsored Links
elemoine said:
Hello all,

I am wondering the same thing: thinking of installing electric underfloor heating and want to calculate what the cost of running it might be. Can anyone advise on how the calculations would be done?

Very grateful for any pointing in the right direction.

elemoine

Work out the floor area to be covered and multiply by the power rating per square metre provided by the manufacturer. Then check you electricity bill to find out the price per kWh.

Say you have a 8m² room and the underfloor heating uses 1000w/m² then the underfloor heating uses 8000w. Running it for 1 hour will consume 8 units (kWh's). If each unit costs 10p then it will cost you 80p per hour to run.

Assuming a 50:50 on:eek:ff ratio (12 hours on 12 hours off) then it will cost you £9.60 per day.

Of course I just made up those numbers to explain how it can be calculated, I'm sure they are a little high.

Davy

As Pluwash said

resistive electric heating is very inefficiant when you look at the whole supply chain (most of the losses are in the generation of the electricity not in the use of the electricity for heating).

Which has lead some people to look at the use of gas to power a small motor generator to provide electricity and heating from the waste heat.

The loss in the supply chain for gas is much lower then for electricity.

Sponsored Links
I have electric UFH in my conservatory (approx 5m x 3m) and the loading is about 800W. The heating covers the middle portion of the floor to about 300mm from each wall.

Currently paying about 13p per kw/h so it costs me about 10.5p/hr when it is on full (obviously control takes over when floor is at temp, so will work out less than this)

I find the heating only takes the edge off on the really cold days but is worth it as I have young children and it enables them to sit and play on a tiled floor.I have had friends say that their children could not play in their conservatories on tiled floors on the really cold days.

Carpet is not really an option when you have a mud monster (dog) coming in and out from the garden!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back