IMMERSION CIRCUIT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I HAVE RECENTLY INSTALLED AN IMMERSION ELEMENT AND WAS WONDERING DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT PROTECTION IS REQUIRED AT THE CONSUMER UNIT(FUSEBOARD) FOR THIS?

please note forum rule 6

Sponsored Links
IS THIS ALSO PROTECTED WITH AN RCD?THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

please note forum rule 6

Sponsored Links
HOT PRESS IS IN THE BATHROOM BUT ENCLOSED.THE ELEMENT SHOULD NOT EFFECT TRIPPING OF THE RCD?

please note forum rule 6

What do the instructions say? And as TTC pointed out, the rules/regulations may be different in Ireland, so don't take anything I say as accurate.

An immersion heater (as with most heating elements and appliances used in the presence of water) can have some normal background earth leakage. This could cause nuisance tripping depending on earth leakages from other circuits which is why it is beneficial to put them on the non-RCD side.

Don't know about the actual regs regarding Ireland, do you work to BS7671? Any sort of building control involvement?
Anyway, what Kw is the immersion heater? For a nice resistive load, W/V = I so you need to design your circuit to accomodate this.

YES THE IRISH REPUBLIC(IRELAND).AND NO SHOUTING.I DONT THINK OUR REGS DIFFER MUCH FROM YOURSELVES AS I SPENT A BIT OF TIME WORKING IN THE UK.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

please note forum rule 6

QUESTION ANSWERED.THANKS TO DAVE 88,SPARKY 123 AND TTC.MUCH APPRECIATED

please note forum rule 6

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back