Underfloor Insulation? What can I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1960's brick built detached house. Have put cloud 9 underlay everywhere downstairs and sealed bottom's of skirting board.

My underfloor space is about 3 foot - can just about slither around and turn over when lying down.

When the insulation people came to insulate the walls they smashed the old concrete air bricks and fitted new plastic ones.

There is an absolute gale blows under my house! What are my options for insulating under floor. I am constrained by having to do this from below therefore doing it with anything rigid will almost be impossible!

Was thinking about stapling some visqueen or similar to prevent drafts/ vapour membrane then need to find something that I can easily attach in such a confined space for insulation.

Any ideas/ recommendations would be very much welcomed!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Was thinking of rockwool but also adding a layer of polythene. Polythene to stop the drafts, rockwool for the insulation. Should the polythene go below the rockwool hence stapled to the underside of the joists or should the polythene go above the rockwool hence stapled to the floor boards between the joists leaving the bottoms of the joists exposed?

Many thanks

For insulation I don't believe you need the plastic. If you have a reasonable joist height and ensure you fill the space withn fibre-wool, then you are not going to get penetrating draughts.

Sponsored Links
On your back? Mucky! Might be worth spending a bit more and going for space blanket (foil wrapped insulation rolls) as sold by the sheds. Wickes/Homebase etc always have BOGOF deals on this stuff.

Triso Super 10 is good stuff. Can get hold of it a Travis Perkins. It's expensive though. Might get some cheaper on ebay.
It apparently has a U value nearing 60mm of celotex. Is only about 6mm thick and comes on a roll. you can staple it to the under side of the joists.

I have done a job exactly like this before. It is not nice. Get a respirator mask gloves and a boiler suit.

My opinion is the opposite : namely that Tri -Iso is a rip-off

Read the instructions very carefully . particularly concerning 25 mm per side air-gap. Shows how much con involved,

If it were as fantastic as HotrodCJH suggests ( 6 mm for 60 mm Celotex). how come it hasn't killed all other insulants within a few weeks of launch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back