Underground Cable Size

Rupert Bear said:
My welder plugs into a plastic 3 pin socket the industrial type that you screw together not the small household plug, all welders have this type of plug for 240 volts
Its nearly panto season so here goes - Oh no they don't

Sponsored Links
Just had a look my welder has 5 pins but i know only 3 are used but it is 240 volt and i think 350 amps but all writting on plates battered and spray painted over, but model is 350 and will do both dc and ac type of welding.

8 fluresnt tubes i think 85 watts?

Radient infer red heaters with 6 tubes i think 2400 watts 240 volt 3 heaters like that.

Eletrical power tools grinders drills etc.

Radio and cd player but radio only on Radio 4 so ( loony liberal electrics )

I am thinking of getting another welder which is a Tig welder but dont know what size yet.

Cant think of anything else but the kettle but all these things wont be on at the same time so i think thats about it.

One more thing this shed will have its own eletric meter as i have a seperate one from the the one for the house as a workshop/shed was attached to the house but is now used as the garage but only lighting is used in there

I seriously think you should ask the REC to fit a dedicated supply

with all heaters thats over 30A then you have the welder /s

Sponsored Links
Rupert Bear said:
One more thing this shed will have its own eletric meter as i have a seperate one from the the one for the house
NOW YOU TELL US! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And quit with the 240V stuff, its getting annoying. We get the point. Anyway, your shed/garage/workshop will have a 230v supply. :p

If you mean its own eletric meter it will have but thats why i want to know what size cable to go back to its own meter.

My only alternative is to have a brand new supply AT the boat shed which will mean a lot of expense and losing all the trees some of which are very old.

All the heaters wont be on together or anything like that, and the welder isnt being used all the time so its a bit like a house you dont have every single appliance on all at the same time do you?

make your mind up will you.

i know i asked what ratings things are, but i am not a mind reader, is there any thin else you would like to tell us, like is the meter connected to anything already? why does the cable have to go over head, you can dig cant you?

Ahhh now I think we are getting somewhere.

So the REC are going to install a new dedicated supply at you house (for the shed), and you are going to run a submain from the new supply to the shed?

Rupert Bear said:
My only alternative is to have a brand new supply AT the boat shed which will mean a lot of expense and losing all the trees some of which are very old.
why will it?

Next time you're in a built up area, look up. see mains cables? no. they're UNDERGROUND. :rolleyes:

rent a digger. dig a trench a metre or so deep between the house and the woodshed and call the electrician back to fit the cable.

Hold on a minute i was told that if a new underground installation ( new meter in the shed ) from the grid was involved that the electric supply people HAD to do the installation, is this not correct?

And if it didnt go underground (very expensive) by them then they would go overhead (thus losing trees).

The house had a small workshop attached with its own eletric meter which is the one i am planning to use with nothing else on it from the house or now garage anymore.

The installation they will, but no one says you cant dig the tremch

Thankyou Breezer so can i get out of this by installing an underground cable myself from the shed to the old meter ( nothing else on it ) thus this being the cheapest option for me?

Maybe i should just buy the 35square cable and play safe.

Can someone tell me the cheapest place to buy it please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back