Underground Cable Size

For 90 metres? teehee. It'll probably come on a huge wooden pallet drum on a big flatbed lorry :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Rupert Bear said:
Thankyou Breezer so can i get out of this by installing an underground cable myself from the shed to the old meter ( nothing else on it ) thus this being the cheapest option for me?

Maybe i should just buy the 35square cable and play safe.

Can someone tell me the cheapest place to buy it please.

Loud AHEM I never said no such thing :!:

I said
breezer said:
The installation they will, but no one says you cant dig the tremch
where does it say in that that you can lay the cable?

also, for a new supply it does not go to your house

crafty1289 said:
For 90 metres? teehee. It'll probably come on a huge wooden pallet drum on a big flatbed lorry :LOL:
Won't be a problem whilst you've got that digger there to play with :LOL:

Breezer if you look i was asking you a question not saying that you said anything.

OK folks sorry that i bothered you and you cant help me, thankyou for your time anyway.

Sponsored Links
Rupert Bear said:
Breezer if you look i was asking you a question not saying that you said anything.

OK folks sorry that i bothered you and you cant help me, thankyou for your time anyway.
email adress in profile if u need to ask anything you feel u cant ask here. ;)

There have been quite a few posts on here where the OP only knows the max output current of the welder. I'm not up on welders so does anyone know if there is there a rule a rule of thumb between input and current?

This would help us all with posts like this one.

Rupert Bear said:

oh no?

Rupert Bear said:
Thankyou Breezer so can i get out of this by installing an underground cable myself from the shed to the old meter ( nothing else on it ) thus this being the cheapest option for me?

Maybe i should just buy the 35square cable and play safe.

Can someone tell me the cheapest place to buy it please.

looks like it to me.

Also "giving up" with this forum does not solve your problem, we really do like to try and help

Can I inteject here folks..At one point in thise process Rupert the Bear has stated, quite clearly, that the welder has a FIVE pin plug on it. Now forgive me for being pedantic, but that is a clear indicator of a 3 phase piece of equipment, although why a welder would require a neutral when it is 3 phase I have no idea.

So we have an issue here, either the welder IS 3 phase 400V or some twonk used to supply a 230V single phase welder via a 5 pin 3 phase socket ( a certain No NO) so they do not know what the hell they are doing.

There is one way around this canundrum...RtB, wat is the make and Model of the welder, that way we can look up the details on the web.

You MUST be certain of the type of equipment you have, not just assume.

Regarding cable length, this is dependent, as everyone here has said, on the size (A) of the supply you need.

Based on what you have said, and making an assumption about the welder, lets assume you require a 60A 230V supply at the shed.

From Table 4E4A, 10mm² SWA will supply the load, however this is not the end of the story. The volt drop for 10mm² is 4.7mV per ampere per meter.

So we have:

60 x 90 x 4.7 / 1000 = 25.38V...way way outside permissable levels.

So we need to transpose this forumla to find the ideal MINIMUM cable.

To get a rough idea of the volt drop of the cable, simply divide the load required by the cable run in meters. This is only a rule of thumb and not accurate.

60/90= 1.5

So we then select a cable with the nearest to this.

35mm² fits this bill with a volt drop of 1.35mV

To prove the case we go..

60*90*1.35/1000 = 7.29V

So if your correct about your welder, Yes you will need a drumof 35mm² SWA.

At current prices I suggest you start saving now.

Didnt realise it would be this hard.

The welder is an Einhell bought 17 years ago in 1989 when it was i think East Germany or USSR, it has been brilliant but very old now, i know after it changed you could still buy these welders but they were all plastic Turbo things, and i dont know if they are still going but you never know.

The plug is red and a flip top (sorry i thought it was a push and screw).

It says 16amp 16-6h 220/380 240/415 3p+N+earth (i think) CEEform.

Too be honest i have no idea if this welder does 350 amps, i just assumed that by the 350 that was on it. It has 7 power settings and will weld 1/2" steel on full power without cutting out, and if you have the Leads you can use it as an Arc (stick) welder aswell.

I have used it in domestic garages for many years and never melted any plugs but i must admit the electric meter does spin round a bit but doesnt seem to use much electric probably because it isnt on for more than 10 minutes each time maybe, all it has really done is interfere with the telly and radio nothing bad.

Anyway i have an idea....could you tell me the correct cable to say power a house at that distance then i know i wont be far out as i have worked with these tools in my garage and no problem, i think that may be easier.

By the way how much is that 35 cable if thats the one i may need?

Big armoured cable
(see http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Armoured_SWA/index.html which only goes up to 16mm) can be in the region of £10 per metre, and I see you will want about 100M, so you can see how important it is to work out the power required accurately and specify the right size.

If you buy too small a cable the voltage will drop unacceptably; and if you buy too big you are chucking (a lot of) money down the drain.

If you already have the equipment, it is possible to use a clamp meter or a supplier's meter to measure current used over a fixed period. The alternative is to walk round all your equipment looking at the rating plates.

Thing being over looked is this.

Big_spark , worked out the cable size, or did he?

well yes he did,but only for the welder, suppose all the other kit is on too

Rupert Bear said:
8 fluresnt tubes i think 85 watts?

Radient infer red heaters with 6 tubes i think 2400 watts 240 volt 3 heaters like that.

Eletrical power tools grinders drills etc.

Radio and cd player but radio only on Radio 4 so ( loony liberal electrics )

I am thinking of getting another welder which is a Tig welder but dont know what size yet.

Cant think of anything else but the kettle

Yes most should not be on at the same time, but what if its cold out ? at least one heater will be on, oh and if a visitor arrives...........pop the kettle on will you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back